At the beginning of a new year, many exciting trends emerge that are worth noting, especially those in the fashion and home decor industries. Home decor trends are fun to follow, because they present creative ways to update and style your living space. If you’re considering updating the tile in your kitchen, mudroom, or bathrooms, here are 5 tile trends to watch for in 2020:
1. Speckled tile is becoming more popular, as it can add an interesting design element that breaks up a monochromatic room. The smaller pebble-like patterns and designs add visual interest and texture, and larger patterns mimicking giraffe spots are great for larger-scale projects.
2. If you want to make more of a statement, select tile that emulates rare earth metals and precious stones. Tile that mimics silver and gold veining, or even rubies and sapphires, has become more convincing and realistic over the years; these materials add a gorgeous, natural look to any room.
3. For a more natural aesthetic, consider selecting tile with images of greenery, like big tropical plants or other leafy designs. Bringing the outdoors in adds impact to a neutral-colored room, and would definitely be a conversation starter.
4. Bas Relief tiles add another dimension to decorating. This type of tile can add waves, ridges, and other shapes that add visual interest and texture to whatever surface you’re tiling.
5. Subway tiles aren’t new, but using them in soft pastel or even bold colors will help you add a splash of color to a space. Glass subway tiles are fun, and let the light bounce around the room. Rectangular tiles that are applied in a horizontal pattern make the space feel wider, but if laid vertically will offer the illusion of a higher ceiling.
For more information about tile trends for 2020, or for assistance in tiling any room in your home, please contact:
Mr. Handyman of Wheaton-Hinsdale
245 W. Roosevelt Road #69
West Chicago, IL