• Bernie’s Book Bank – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, June 1 through July 5, Grundy County Land Use Department’s Environmental, Resource and Conservation Office, 1320 Union St., Morris. Drop off used children’s books. For information, contact Cheryl Wardell or Heidi Miller at 815-941-3228 (email@example.com) and 815-941-3229 (firstname.lastname@example.org), respectively.
• Bolingbrook High School’s Student Ambassadors seeking help with summer service trip – Event is June 11 to 17, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana. $500 per student. For information, email high school social worker Julie Mueller at MuellerJL@vvsd.org.
• Commemorative Brick – Offered by the Lincoln-Way High School District 210 Foundation for Educational Excellence to recognize high school graduates. $100. For information, visit www.lw210.org/foundation/newsletter.php.
• District 202 Preschool Screening – The Bonnie McBeth Learning Center. District 202’s preschool will screen 3- and 4-year-old children who reside in District 202, for the 2017-18 “Preschool for All” state preschool program. Eligible children will take part in a free educational program for five days a week. For information and to schedule screening, call 815-577-4114.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois AMVETS collection site – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, Grundy County Administration Building, 1320 Union St., Morris; and Ace Hardware parking lot, 855 S. Ridge Road, Minooka.
• Joliet Junior College Summer Classes – Six- or eight-week summer sessions that begin May 22, June 5 and July 3. Available online and at JJC’s three campuses in Joliet and Romeoville and education centers in Joliet and Morris. View classes and register (existing students) at eResources. New students, call 815-280-2493 or visit www.jjc.edu/admissions.
• Middle School Meetup – 3 to 4:45 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Romeoville Recreation Department, Recreation Center’s Drdak Teen Room, 900 W. Romeo Road, Romeoville. $1 per day. For information, call Jason Buckholtz at 815-886-6222 or visit www.romeoville.org.
• St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Stores – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 307 N. Chicago St., Joliet; and 9 a.m. to
8 p.m., 1820 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Monday is 50 percent off day. Seniors receive 20 percent off on Thursdays. For information, call 815-722-1140 (Chicago Street) or 815-729-4585 (Jefferson Street).
• Yearlong Food Drive for Will County Humane Society – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, VCA Animal Hospital, 220 N. Hammes Ave., Joliet. Donations of food, toys and treats will be accepted. For information, call 815-729-0770. These and other items, along with monetary donations, may be delivered to WCHS, 24109 W. Seil Road, Shorewood. Shelter open from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Call 815-741-0695 or visit willcountyhumane.com.
• A.O. Marshall School Reunion – Event is noon to 4 p.m. June 8, VFW, 323 Old Hickory Road, New Lenox. Celebrating all students, alumni, friends and family with luncheon, games, raffle. For information, call 815-529-7869.
• Boys & Girls Club of Joliet Summer Session – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday, June 12 through Aug. 11, 226 E. Clinton St., Joliet. To register and for more information, call 815-723-3434.
• Habitat’s Operation Playhouse – Event is 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. June 10. Build playhouses that the Frankfort Public Library District will display and auction off. Benefits the 2017 WCHFH Veterans Build. Will County Habitat for Humanity will provide plywood, studs and screws. $450 for 10-member team. To register, contact 815-714-7013, email@example.com, 815-534-6173, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• STARTALK Chinese classes – June and July, Lewis University, One University Parkway, Romeoville. For students entering grades 10, 11 and 12. No tuition costs. Students have the ability to earn three transferable university credits of foreign language. To apply, visit www.lewisu.edu/startalk.
• STARTALKing Chinese classes – Classes are 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, June 5 to June 29, Plainfield North High School, 12005 S. 248th St., Plainfield. Noncredit beginner classes. Open to District 202 students in fourth through ninth grades. Deadline is May 25. Register at www.psd202.org. For information, call Dan McDonnell at 815-577-4036.
• Summer Seminars – One day each. Begins June 5 and continues through June 28. Offered by College of Education at Lewis University in Romeoville. For teachers and administrators. $40 per person. Attendees earn four professional development units for each seminar. Seventeen seminars of varied topics. For information, visit www.lewisu.edu/SummerSeminars.
• DeICE Summer Workshop – July 27, Troy Middle School, 5800 Theodore St., Plainfield. Topics: Seesaw Digital Portfolios, Class Dojo and Google Classroom, as well as coding in the classroom, podcasts, Google Forms and old school games used in a “techy” way. $10 per adult and child. Register at https://goo.gl/00me7v. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Outdoor Flea Market – 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Main Park, 10925 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Free admission. For information, call 708-390-2401.
• Frankfort Country Market – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Downtown Frankfort. Variety of fresh produce, live entertainment, demos. For information, visit www.villageoffrankfort.com/calendar.
• Memorial Day Program Honoring Civil War Veterans – 10 a.m., Oakwood Cemetery, 137 E. Cass St., Joliet. Features 10th Illinois infantry, 36th Illinois infantry civil war re-enactors, National Society of the Daughters of the Union, all in authentic Civil War clothing. For more information, call Charles Lyons at Woodlawn Funeral Home at 815-725-0100.
• Elwood Memorial Day Services – 8:30 a.m. (Maple Hill Cemetery, Elwood), 8:50 a.m. (Brown Cemetery, Elwood0, 9:15 a.m. (North Providence Ridge Cemetery), 9:40 a.m. (St. Joseph Cemetery, Manhattan), 10 a.m. (Memorial Stone, 230 S. State St., Manhattan), 10:35 a.m. (Manhattan Center Cemetery), 11 a.m. (Wilton Cemetery and Mount Calvary Cemetery).
• Lockport Memorial Day Ceremony – 9 a.m., Lockport Cemetery (on Madison between 4th and 5th streets). Flags will be given to attendees to place on the graves of those who lost their lives in war. Hosted by the City of Lockport, along with the VFW and American Legion.
• Memorial Day Mass – 9 a.m., Risen Lord Cemetery, 1501 Simons Road, Oswego, Plainfield, West Joliet.
• Memorial Day Mass – 9 a.m., St. Mary Nativity Cemetery, Caton Farm Road, Crest Hill.
• Memorial Day Mass – 9 a.m., St. Mary Immaculate Cemetery 14313 S. Naperville Road, Plainfield. If weather is inclement, Mass will be moved to St. Mary Immaculate Parish, 15629 S. Route 59, Plainfield.
• Memorial Day Mass – 9 a.m., St. Patrick Cemetery, West Jefferson Street. Joliet.
• Channahon Memorial Day Service – 9 a.m. Channahon Village Hall, 24555 S. Navajo Drive, Channahon.
• Frankfort Memorial Day Ceremony – 10 to 11 a.m., Breidert Green, downtown Frankfort. In case of rain, event moves to Founders Center Gym, 140 Oak St., Frankfort.
• Memorial Day Parade – 10 a.m., Minooka Bible Church, 412 N. Wabena, to Veteran’s Park, Minooka. 9:30 a.m. arrival for those wishing to participate in the parade. Hosted by Minooka American Legion Post 1188. To be in the parade, call Dave Corbin at 815-693-9162.
• Memorial Day Mass – 10 a.m., Mount Olivet Cemetery, 1320 Cass St., Joliet.
• Memorial Day Mass – 10 a.m., Resurrection Cemetery and Mausoleum, 200 W. Romeo Road, Romeoville. Bag piper present after Mass.
• Memorial Day Mass – 10:30 a.m., Ss. Cyril & Methodius Cemetery, Route 6 (East of Briggs Street), Joliet.
• Plainfield Memorial Day Parade – 10:30 a.m., Ira Jones Middle School, 15320 S. Wallin Drive, Plainfield, to Settler’s Park at Van Dyke Road and Ottawa Street for a flag-raising ceremony. For more information on road closures or the parking, call Cmdr. Ken Ruggles at 815-267-7211.
• Mazon Memorial Day – Observances at three Mazon cemeteries. 10:30 a.m. (Brookside Cemetery), 11 a.m. (Ward Cemetery) and 11:30 a.m. (Wheeler Cemetery). Lunch follows at American Legion in Mazon on Depot Street. In the event of inclement, the event will be at the American Legion.
• Morris Memorial Day Parade – 10:30 a.m., Chapin Park, down Liberty Street to the Grundy County Courthouse, Morris. In the event of inclement weather, the event will be held at Morris Community High School. Observance at 11 a.m. Hosted by John Martin Steele VFW Post 6049. For information, visit www.downtownmorris.com.
• Coal City Memorial Day observance – 11 a.m., Coal City Intermediate School, 305 E. Division St., Coal City. Hosted by the Saint Juvin VFW Post 133.
• Memorial Day Observance – 11:30 a.m., Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery 20953 W. Hoff Road, Elwood. Handicapped parking. Shuttle service. Observance at the flagpole.
• Memorial Day Ceremony – 2 p.m., Crest Hill Veterans Memorial Park, 1610 Plainfield Road, Crest Hill, Honors Crest Hill veterans and policemen killed in the line of duty. Guest speaker: Daniel Ciszek, Vietnam Marine Corps veteran and Crest Hill resident. Police memorial address: Chief Edward Clark. Entertainment: Frankfort Brass Band. Singer: Anna Mae Lukanic. If weather is inclement, ceremony will be at St Anne Church, 1800 Dearborn St., Crest Hill.
• Electronics Recycling – 6 to 11 a.m., Lockport Public Works, 17112 Prime Blvd., Lockport. For information, visit willcountygreen.com.
• Industry Orientation – 9 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Register at www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Career Café – 9:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. For information, visit www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Encore Resale Shop summer season – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the first Saturday of the month, 710 Cedar Crossing, New Lenox. For information, call 815-300-7542.
• Illinois JobLink – 10:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Visit jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Math Review – 2 p.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. For information, visit www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Bingo – 5 p.m., Harry E. Anderson VFW Post 9545, 323 Old Hickory Road, New Lenox. Call 815-485-8369 or visit vfwpost9545.org.
• Pay for College Without Going Broke – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Free. Register at 708-479-9663.
• Bingo – 6:45 p.m., Knights of Columbus, 100 S. Infantry Drive, Joliet. Call 815-725-0746.
• Midwest Crossroad Chorus of Sweet Adelines International – 7 p.m., Trinity Christian School, 901 Shorewood Drive, Shorewood. Call 866-588-7464 or visit midwestcrossroad.org.
• Agriculture Breakfast registration deadline – Event is 7 a.m., May 31, R-Place Restaurant meeting room, Morris. Hosted by Grundy County Soil & Water Conservation District. Guest speaker from farm bureau will discuss Great Lakes Basin Railroad. $10. RSVP by noon. Call 815-942-0359 Ext 3.
• Industry Orientation – 9:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Register at www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Networking Workshop – 9:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Register at www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Will County Mobile Workforce Center – 9:30 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 3:30 p.m., Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield. Visit www.jobs4people.org.
• Volt Recruiting at Grundy Workforce Services – Noon to 2 p.m., 725 School St., Door 27, Morris. For information, email email@example.com.
• Microsoft Publisher – 6:30 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Will County Mobile Workforce Center – 9:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m., Wilmington Public Library District, 201 S. Kankakee St., Wilmington. Visit www.jobs4people.org.
• Basic Microsoft Excel – 10:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Visit jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Industry Orientation – 1:30 p.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Register at www.jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Farmers Market – 2 to 6 p.m., Joliet Junior College Greenhouse Facility, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. For vendor list, visit www.jjc.edu/info/farmersmarket. For information, contact market manager Dorothy Rosier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-280-6662.
• Book Recycling Event – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; also June 3 and June 4, Pilcher Park Nature Center, 2501 Highland Drive, Joliet. Books for all ages and all genres. People may drop off books and take books home. Sponsored by the Will County Resource Recovery and Energy Division of the Land Use Department and Joliet Park District. For more information, call Tim Anderson at 815-727-8834 or visit www.willcountygreen.com.
• Job Fair – 9 to 11 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Suite 100, Joliet. Seeking clamp drivers/pickers, dockworker, facility certified nursing assistants, forklift operator, galvanizing associate, general laborers, machine operator, medical assistant, packers, picker/packer, school bus drivers, warehouse associate, warehouse loaders/unloaders and warehouse material handler. Visit www.jobs4people.org.
• Successful Interviewing – 9:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Visit jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Will County Mobile Workforce Center – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Frankfort Public Library District, 21119 S. Pfeiffer Road, Frankfort. Visit www.jobs4people.org.
• Illinois JobLink – 10:30 a.m., Workforce Center of Will County, 2400 Glenwood Ave., Joliet. Visit jobs4people.org or call 815-727-4444.
• Fish Fry – 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Knights of Columbus Council 4400, 1813 E. Cass St., Joliet. Fish, chicken and shrimp. Carryout. Call 815-723-3827.
• Fish Fry – 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Stone City VFW Post 2199, 124 Stone City Drive, Joliet. Dining room opens 4 p.m. Carryouts available. Call 815-722-7122.
• Will County Mobile Workforce Center – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Mokena Public Library, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Visit www.jobs4people.org.
• Bingo – Doors open 4 p.m. Cards begin 6 p.m., St. Mary Nativity School, 702 N. Broadway St., Joliet.
• Open House for Departing Children’s Librarian – 4 to 6 p.m., Channahon Library at 25207 W Channon Drive, Channahon. Say “farewell” to Lisa Berger and sign her card. Refreshments.
• Pork Chop or Chicken Dinner – 4 to 7:30 p.m., Croatian Cultural Club, 1503 Clement St., Joliet. Served with mashed potatoes, cole slaw and bread and butter. Dine-in or carryout. For carryout, call 815-723-3154.
• Fish Fry/Karaoke – Fish fry is 4 to 8 p.m. Karaoke is 8 p.m. to midnight, Cantigny VFW Post 367, 826 Horseshoe Drive, Joliet. Call 815-722-5398.
• Fish Fry – 5 p.m., Harry E. Anderson VFW Post 9545, 323 Old Hickory Road, New Lenox. Karaoke begins at 8:30 p.m. Call 815-485-8369 or visit vfwpost9545.org.
• All-You-Can-Eat - Pancake Breakfast – 8 to 11 a.m., Joliet Elks Club, Joliet. Hosted by Shorewood Lions Club. $8. Half-price for kids under 10. Free for kids under 3.
• E Waste – 8:30 a.m. to noon, 1349 East St., Morris. Accepted items are cable boxes, mobile electronic devices, televisions & monitors, DVD players, computers & laptops, cameras, and video game consoles. Examples of some items that will NOT be accepted are gas cylinders, light bulbs, liquids, batteries, microwaves, washers and dryers, and dish washers. Proof of residency must be shown to participate.
• Garage Sale – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.,Bethlehem Lutheran Church 412 E. Benton St., Joliet. For more information, call 815-726-4461 or email email@example.com
• Household Hazardous Waste Disposal – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Naperville Regional HHW Facility, 184 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville. Visit willcountygreen.com.
• Joliet Alive – Chicago St and Third Ave., Joliet. Giveaways, food, books, clothing, medical screenings, mini job fair (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), inspirational services (10 a.m. to noon), talent show contest (noon to 2 p.m.), cookout, family activities (2 to 6 p.m.). For more information, call 630-201-1276.
• Fish Fry – 4 to 8 p.m., Knights of Columbus Council 4400, 1813 E. Cass St., Joliet. Carryout. Call 815-723-3827.
• Joliet Alive – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Chicago St and Third Ave., Joliet. Revival by local churches. For more information, call 630-201-1276.
• Junk in the Trunk – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Gardner Co-op Flea Market, Old Route 66, Gardner. For information, call Craig or Patty at 630-215-8968.
• Church Picnic – 1 p.m., St. Jude’s Parish, 2200 McDonough St., Joliet. Pulled pork sandwiches, children’s games, raffles. Luna-Blu will entertain.