As a public service, Shaw Media will provide open access to information related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) emergency. Sign up for the newsletter here
Suburban Life Media is compiling a running list of event cancellations in our area due to coronavirus concerns.
• The regular meeting of Community Unit School District 201’s Board of Education scheduled for 6 p.m. March 17 at the Westmont Village Hall has been postponed. This meeting has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. March 24.
• The March 19 study session of the Woodridge Board of Trustees has been cancelled.
• West Chicago Elementary School District 33 is closing all school buildings to students the through March 27. All activities and events at the buildings are canceled through spring break, March 30 to April 3.
• The La Grange Public Library has canceled all programs through the end of March. Meeting room reservations have been suspended. iPads and play space toys have temporarily been removed from the children's department. Every other computer has been closed to allow further distance between patrons.
• The Forest Preserve District of Will County is canceling all programs and workdays through April 3, and closing all but one visitor center due to health concerns related to the new coronavirus.
Forest preserves, trails and all six dog parks will remain open; however, members of the public are being advised to use their best judgment when considering a visit to a dog park.
• Woodridge Census events including the Census STEM Family Fun Day on March 21, the Senior Census Lunch at the Woodridge Library on April 1 and the Census Breakfast at the Woodridge Park District on April 10 have been cancelled.
• The McAninch Arts Center at College of DuPage has cancelled all events [internal, hosted and rental at the main campus, COD regional centers, and the MAC] for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester.
Glenbard Township High School District 87 has suspended all Glenbard Parent Series, B-PAC and FUSE Glenbard Parent Series, Bilingual Parent Advisory Council (B-PAC),and FUSE events.
• Center Cass School District 66 has cancelled all large gatherings that include visitors from outside the school who are not our students, including this weekend’s Parent University.
Athletic/performing group practices may continue as planned, but athletic competitions and group performances are suspended until further notice. All school trips and speakers are also canceled.
• The Western Springs Recreation Department has cancelled all Senior Center programs. If the Western Springs schools close, the department will not have open gym at the Recreation Center. Open Gym will be available over spring break [March 23-27], however the department will reassess next week. Additionally, the polling location at the Recreation Center has been moved from the upstairs classrooms to the gymnasium, which has an entrance from the outside.
• The Elmhurst Park District continues to operate all programs and facilities with the exception of those held at York Community High School District 205 facilities. This does not include Rec Station, which will continue to run while the schools are open. Check the park district website at www.epd.org for the latest updates on program cancellations or facility closures.
• The Park District of La Grange has suspended all gymnastics classes at Lyons Township High School South Campus until the end of the March.The Youth Developmental Basketball League practices and games are suspended. Additionally, senior card groups and senior pickleball, open gym basketball and pickleball and toddler open gym are suspended. The Indoor playground is closed. All other programs will run as scheduled and La Grange Fitness will remain open.
• Downers Grove Grade School District 58 will cancel all gatherings that include visitors who are not students and staff. The Fairmount School musical and the Herrick Middle School Center Stage musical scheduled for March 12 at will proceed with students performing but no parents or guests will be allowed to attend. The performances will be recorded, and those recordings will be shared with parents/guardians as soon as reasonably possible.
The following events have been cancelled: The Highland School Geography Night, Downers Grove Park District basketball, scheduled at several District 58 schools, the Cub Scouts meeting at Belle Aire School and Nomad Basketball and Rebels practices scheduled at O’Neill Middle School.
After-school activities that only involve students and staff from District 58 will continue as scheduled today.
• Morton East High School's Coffee with the Principal and the after-school poetry workshop for March 12 has been cancelled. The Saturday Biliteracy event scheduled at Morton West High School on March 14 has also been cancelled and will be postponed until further notice.
Morton poms tryouts for March 12 will be postponed until further notice. The boys and girls water polo game against Curie High School will continue, but there will be no spectators allowed to attend.
• Community High School District 99 has canceled large gatherings that include visitors, from outside the school who are not our students, including the school musical at Downers Grove North and the Masque and Gavel show at Downers Grove South, events including the daddy/daughter dance at Downers Grove South and the Pretty in Purple show at Downers Grove North and the all-school assembly at Downers Grove North, at the recommendation of the health department, due to proximity concerns. Additionally, all domestic, school and field trips are canceled. Outside facility rentals are canceled as are outside outside speakers. Athletic practices or competitions without spectators may continue as planned.
• The Downers Grove Public Library has canceled the following large events: Trinity Irish Dancers March 14; Sesame Street Puppet Show Friday, March 20; How-To Festival, March 21, Rescheduled events will be posted on the library’s event calendar at www.dglibrary.org/events.
• Community Unit School District 200 has canceled athletic contests for middle and high schools as well as concerts, performances and large group, community events at the elementary, middle and high schools. After school clubs, activities and practices will run as scheduled.
• Wheaton College has extended spring break for students by one week and resume classes through virtual teaching on March 23. Classes will be held at their regularly scheduled times via Schoology and other online resources.
• Extracurricular activities, including after-school clubs and athletic events, will continue as planned in Cicero District 99 but will not be open to parents and the public. The March 21 Parent University is cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
• An Elmhurst College trip to Greece during spring break has been canceled.
• The Hinsdale Township High School District 86 Board of Educations' March 12 Committee of the Whole meeting has been canceled.
• All extracurricular events in Community Consolidated School District 181 schools have been canceled. The district will re-evaluate this decision on,March 19.
• Lyons Township High School has suspended all planned international trips between March 14 and April 6.
• The NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Championship between Elmhurst and Pomona-Pitzer colleges on March 14 will be available on YouTube or Live statistics. Because of the recent news on the coronavirus outbreak, fans are no longer allowed to attend the third round game, which will be held on the Elmhurst College campus.
• All after-school activities in Community Unit School District 205 are suspended until further notice, including tonight’s scheduled All-District Band Concert at York High School.
This suspension of after-school activities does not include the Elmhurst Park Department Rec Station.
All activities involving outside individuals in District 205 facilities and activities involving District 205 students going out of the schools, all off-campus field trips and outside facility rentals are cancelled. All district after-school meetings are cancelled as well. The status of the March 17 Board of Education meeting will be evaluated and announced at a later time.