WHEATON - A clothes dryer appears to be responsible for a Nov. 6 fire in Wheaton apartment complex.
Wheaton firefighters responded at about 9 a.m. to a structural fire at 121 N. Cross St, according to a Wheaton Fire Department news release.
The fire in the fifth floor apartment was brought under control within minutes by the fire sprinkler system. The unit where the fire originated was occupied at the time of the fire, and the occupants escaped safely, the release stated.
All other building occupants safely escaped the building, and the incident did not result in any injuries. The unit where the fire occurred sustained smoke damage, water damage and was uninhabitable. Damage estimates are unavailable. All remaining residents were able to reoccupy the building, according to the release.
The Wheaton Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Wheaton Police Department and fire departments from neighboring communities. The building was turned back over to the property management company after the fire, the release stated.