WOODRIDGE – Suburban Life Media and the DuPage Credit Union honored some of the best high school seniors in the western suburbans April 26 at the Suburban Life Scholars Awards Reception at Seven Bridges Golf Club in Bolingbrook.
Forty nine students from public and private schools received certificates for their accomplishments, and two students, Daniel Freund of St. Francis High School and Priya Nair of Hinsdale South High School, received a $2,000 scholarship.
Freund, a Winfield resident, said he will put his scholarship to good use next school year when he attends the University of Virginia.
"I feel very honored," he said. "I feel like all my hard work I tried to put in the last 13 years has paid off."
Nair, whose nominee compared her to a flash mob, said being a good high school student takes more than being involved in a handful of clubs and activities.
"I feel like what really got me to be successful in high school was putting relationships before everything else – before grades, before everything," she said. "I tend to put other people before myself. It's more important than any club or activity you could join."
Suburban Life recognized local students as Suburban Life Scholars from September to March, based on nominations from teachers, administrators and counselors.
Suburban Life narrowed down the honorees to a group of finalists for the scholarships, and DuPage Credit Union selected the winners.
Sherri Dauskurdas, director of partnerships for Suburban Life, congratulated all of the students attending the event.
"What's great about events like these is they're all about your stories – stories about people in our communities, stories of award winners," she said. "Tonight we have a chance to celebrate a whole group of young people whose stories are just beginning."
Other student honorees for the 2015-16 school year include:
• Addison Trail High School: Sophia Belvedere, Jessica Mell, Zachary Novak, Nicole Pudlo, Martin Rodriguez and John Scorza
• Benet Academy: Nick Benak, Mika Helfers, Benjamin Mazza and Mary Clare Wall
• Downers Grove North High School: Nisha Albert, Niara Briggs, Sophia Chaulk, Shaun Kelliher and Aubrey Sieve
• Downers Grove South High School: Grace DeCarlo, Joseph Gleeson, Saima Khimani, Kayla O'Sullivan, Katie Rock and Ronnie Thottaplackal
• Hinsdale South High School: Dylan Boye, Madison Cebular, Roman Drabchuk, Sylwia Giza, Holli Jones and Cassidy Sattler
• St. Francis High School: Karina Chan, Sean Malek, Julia Nauman, Timothy Pisarski and Elliott Ann Pointner
• West Chicago Community High School: Robert Bradley, Aracely Cholula, Kyle Olson and Krishna Patel
• Wheaton Academy: Justin Ferek, Sidney Klepitsch, India Linsay, David McDonell, Cole Reyes, Ellie Shackleford and Elizabeth Williams
• Willowbrook High School: Galen Bergsten, Stephaney Cheng, Meghan Foley and Sally Nijim