Digital Access

Digital Access
Access mysuburbanlife.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Print Edition

Print Edition
Subscribe now to the print edition of Suburban Life.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile phone or PDA with news, weather and more from mySuburbanLife.com.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Our My Suburban Life Daily Update will send you all of the news you need to keep up with the pace of news in DuPage and Cook County.
Local News

Former Richmond man cleared of all sex charges

WOODSTOCK – Prosecutors dropped all charges against a former Richmond resident once accused of the decade-old sexual assault of a young girl.

According to attorneys, the evidence against 40-year-old Karl W. Davis, of Kenosha, Wisconsin, was weak and the case could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

"I did not believe, ethically, I could go forward with the prosecution on a good-faith basis," Assistant State's Attorney Michael Combs said Monday.

Neither Combs nor defense attorney David Franks would elaborate on the specific weaknesses in the state's case.

Davis faced between six and 30 years in prison on two Class X felonies. A lesser domestic battery charge also was dropped. His case was dismissed with prejudice, meaning the charges cannot be refiled at a later date.

"We're very pleased," Franks said. "Justice was clearly served in this case."

Davis was charged in September 2013, accused of sex acts with a girl who was younger than 13 years old in August 2003, when the incidents were alleged to have happened. Davis had been free from custody on pre-trial bond.

McHenry County Judge Gordon Graham presided over the case.

Loading more