GLEN ELLYN – The Glen Ellyn School District 41 Board of Education awarded bids for construction projects at two elementary schools at its Sept. 8 meeting.
The total value of the bids is $4.4 million, which is $136,000 less than the estimated budget for the project. Sixteen of the 20 items out to bid were approved at the meeting.
Assistant Superintendent for Finance, Facilities and Operations Bob Ciserella said construction could start as soon as the board approves all items out for bid, which could happen at its next meeting.
All bidder items are for construction projects at Churchill and Forest Glen elementary schools, Ciserella said. Work on the items is expected to start the first week of October.
According to documents provided by the district, the following projects were bid out:
• Selective demolition: The lowest bidder was Midwest Wrecking Co. of Chicago, but the bid did not follow the proper requirements, and was therefore awarded to Robinette Demolition Inc. of Oak Brook for $33,000.
• Cast-in-place concrete: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder DeGraf Concrete Construction of Wheeling for $405,000.
• Masonry: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Iwanski Masonry Inc. of Lombard for $575,000.
• Structural and miscellaneous steel: The lowest bidder was Corsetti Structural Steel of Joliet, but the bid did not meet requirements, and was instead awarded to K&K Iron Works LLC of McCook for $340,077.
• Carpentry and drywall: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder J.C. Harris & Sons of Elgin for $166,480.
• Roofing and sheet metal: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Elens & Maichin Roofing & Sheet Metal of Joliet for $355,400.
• Hollow metal, wood doors and hardware: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder LaForce Inc. of Green Bay, Wis., for $47,107.
• Aluminum, glass and glazing: The bid awarded to lowest bidder McHenry County Glass & Mirror Inc. of McHenry for $178,800.
• Flooring: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder TSI Commercial Floor Covering Inc. of Champaign for $51,970.
• Casework: The bid awarded to lowest bidder Stevens Industries Inc. of Teutopolis for $81,416.
• Fire protection sprinklers: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Absolute Fire Protection Inc. of Rockford for $38,500.
• Plumbing: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Cannonball Mechanical Paul L. Buddy Plumbing and Heating Inc. of Aurora for $264,900.
• Heating, ventilation and air conditioning: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Commercial Mechanical Inc. of Dunlap for $364,000.
• Electrical: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Correct Electric Inc. of Newark for $396,912.
• Earthwork and site utilities: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Bisping Construction Co. Inc. of New Lenox for $627,632.
• Landscaping: The bid was awarded to lowest bidder Pedersen Co. of St. Charles for $96,795.
At the Sept. 8 meeting, the board also received an update on the construction projects at all district elementary schools. Ciserella said the projects are two weeks behind schedule and 99 percent of the delay is weather-related.
"It's been raining a bit lately," he said. "But we feel as though we'll make the time up."
The construction is being done to build additional classrooms at each location. Ben Franklin and Lincoln elementary schools are expected to finish construction in early December, with items moved into the rooms during Christmas break.
Churchill and Forest Glen are expected to be finished in August 2015. Classrooms would open to students for the next school year.
Ciserella said the district intends to work through the winter to avoid any additional delays.
"We will make it work, that's our intention," Ciserella said.