Police reports for Elmhurst
Information in Police Reports is obtained from the Elmhurst Police Department. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Suspicious package determined not a hazard
ELMHURST – Police closed off traffic on Park Avenue for a couple hours Sunday while investigating a suspicious package found in front of the post office.
A runner stopped in the police station Sunday afternoon to notify police of a suspicious package he'd seen sitting in front of the post office.
Police found the plastic shopping-type bag tied at the top at 3:26 p.m. Police notified the on-site supervisor and U.S. postal inspector. The package was X-rayed and opened. Several containers of electronic media bundles were found inside with a note.
Police said the package was determined not to be a hazard and the area was cleared at 5:30 p.m.
Man pulled from pool
ELMHURST – Police pulled a 57-year-old Addison resident from a pool at Royal Oak Condominiums on Sunday afternoon.
The man's father lives at Royal Oaks in the 100 block of West Butterfield Road. He called police when his son didn't surface from the pool where he was swimming.
Police responded at 3 p.m. and pulled the man from the pool. He had a pulse at the time and was transported to an area hospital.
Possesion of heroin, DUI charged
• Vyacheslav Shastov, 28, of the 500 block of Fairway View Drive, Wheeling, was charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance, driving under the influence of drugs and improper lane usage at 11:17 p.m. Nov. 29 at Interstate 290 and Route 83 after he was found to be in possession of heroin.
• James Amabile, 48, of the 400 block of Prairie Avenue was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, not having insurance and speeding at 10:31 p.m. Nov. 27 at Prairie Avenue and May Street.
• Alexi Choza, 22, of the 18200 block of Ardmore Avenue, Villa Park, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding, improper lane usage and not having insurance at 1:10 a.m. Nov. 28 at North Avenue and York Street.
• Nikola Ivancevic, 43, of the 600 block of Albert Street was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and improper lane usage at 1:26 a.m. Nov. 28 at St. Charles Road and West Avenue.
• Watson Lewis, 40, of the 21W500 block of Lynn Road, Lombard, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, driving too fast for conditions and improper lane usage at 12:04 a.m. Nov. 30 at North and Myrtle avenues.
• Michele N. Ross, 35, of the 100 block of South 12th Avenue, Maywood, was charged with two counts of aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, driving while license suspended, illegal transportation of alcohol, speeding and disobeying a flashing red light at 1:15 a.m. Nov. 30 at North and Myrtle avenues.
• Lidia Pocic, 60, of the 3N500 block of Crown Road was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident at 6:12 p.m. Nov. 30 at Indiana Street and North End Avenue.
• Jeffrey Frost, 39, of the 800 block of South Chatham Avenue, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol at 1:21 a.m. Dec. 1 in the 100 block of West Park Avenue.
• Shirley Gray, 56, of the 200 block of Greene Court, Wood Dale, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, endangering the life of a child and driving without headlights at 9:53 p.m. Dec. 1 at Wrightwood Avenue and York Street.
Leaving the scene of a collision cited
Melissa A. Urgo, 44, of the 300 block of North Addison Avenue was cited three times for leaving the scene of a collision and improper passing at 11:45 a.m. Nov. 25 at Alexander Boulevard and Grace Avenue.
Possession of a controlled substance charged
Brandi Jo Dorn, 39, of the 1100 block of South 23rd Avenue, Bellwood, was charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance at 4:27 p.m. Nov. 29 in the 100 block of North Robert T. Palmer Drive.
Possession of marijuana charged
• Marcin Rzodkiewicz, 28, of the 4900 block of Harold Avenue, Schiller Park, and Luis Ramos, 29, of the 1200 block of West Pratt Boulevard, Chicago, were charged with possession of marijuana at 4:02 a.m. Nov. 28 in the 900 block of North York Street. Ramos was also charged with obstructing identification.
• Simon Santacruz, 20, of the 800 block of North Van Auken Street, was charged with possession of marijuana at 9:28 p.m. Nov. 28 at Grand Avenue and Willow Road. Roberto Santacruz, 19, also of the 800 block of North Van Auken Street was also charged with driving while license suspended, having a loud exhaust and not having a rear registration plate light.
• Edward Rabe, 30, of the 100 block of Wallace Street, Bartlett, was charged with retail theft at 3:15 p.m. Nov. 25 in the 200 block of Route 83 after stealing $31.08 worth of merchandise.
• Katherine R. Varney, 41, of the 100 block of North Walnut Street, was charged with theft at 10:31 a.m. Nov. 14 in the 600 block of York Road after stealing $50 from the store where she worked.
Thefts, burglaries reported
• A pack of cigarettes was reported stolen at 5:29 p.m. Nov. 21 in the 900 block of South York Street.
• A personal check was reported stolen at 11:45 a.m. Nov. 26 in the 100 block of East Wilson Street after someone tried to cash the check for $750 at a bank in Melrose Park.
• About 6,000 pieces of 1/2 inch stainless steel screws were stolen between 8 a.m. Aug. 26 and 4 p.m. Nov. 18 in the 100 block of West Diversey Avenue.
• A cart full of groceries was stolen at 11:09 p.m. Nov. 26 in the 900 block of South York Street.
• An air compressor, worth $125, was stolen from a storage locker between 12:01 a.m. Nov. 21 and 3 p.m. Nov. 28 in the 300 block of South West Avenue.
• A black Haulmark Trailer containing several tools was stolen between 3 p.m. Nov. 25 and 1:50 p.m. Nov. 29 in the 100 block of East Grand Avenue.
• A minor was charged with retail theft and possession of tobacco by a minor at 4:22 p.m. Dec. 1 in the 200 block of Route 83 after stealing women's underwear, socks and an acrylic nail kit valued at $93.89.
• Six envelopes containing earnings were stolen from inside a cash register between 2:30 a.m. Dec. 1 and 8:30 a.m. Dec. 2 in the 100 block of West Park Avenue.
Theft by deception reported
An Elmhurst man sent $14,000 to someone in Canada claiming to be his grandson between noon Nov. 7 and noon Nov. 23 in the 200 block of North Addison Avenue.
Attempted identity theft charged
Alexus Cook, 19, of the 400 block of North 83rd Street, Centreville, was charged with two counts of attempted identity theft and attempted forgery at 4:19 p.m. Nov. 26 after using someone else's check book and identification to make a purchase Oct. 10.
Identity theft reported
• Someone used another person's PayPal account to make several purchases online between noon and 3 p.m. Nov. 27 on Cottage Hill Avenue.
• Someone withdrew $4,500 from another person's account on Nov. 25 in Bloomington, Ind., but the incident was reported at 11:10 a.m. Dec. 2 in the 100 block of East First Street.
• Someone used another person's credit card to purchase a $130.07 blender at 4:25 Oct. 27, but the incident was reported Dec. 2.
Criminal damage to property reported
• A rear window of a parked car was reported broken at 9 p.m. Nov. 25 in the 400 block of West Lake Street.
• A 20 mph speed limit sign was reported damaged at 12:35 p.m. Dec. 1 in the 200 block of East Vallette Street.
• Someone spray painted the walls of the water pumping station between 12 p.m. Nov. 26 and 10 a.m. Dec. 2 in the 600 block of Sunnyside Avenue.
• A damaged rear entry door was reported at 6:55 p.m. Dec. 2 in the 100 block of Elmhurst Avenue.
A minor was charged with curfew and obstruction at midnight Dec. 2 at York Street and North End Avenue after giving police a false birthdate.
A Bank of America debit card was found at 10 a.m. Nov. 28 at Cottage Hill and Park avenues.