BERWYN – The next Berwyn's Best contest is here, and it's all about the chicken wings.
The average American eats 90 wings each year, and football enthusiasts consume about 1.25 billion on Super Bowl Sunday alone, according to a news release from the Berwyn Development Corp., which manages the contest.
Berwyn’s Best Chicken Wings Contest will take place in two rounds.
The first round includes Berwyn-based restaurants that agreed to take part in the contest. Establishments must offer chicken wings on their regular menus, the release stated.
The participating locations include:
• Lavergne's Tavern, 6546 W. Windsor Ave.
• Paisans Pizzeria & Bar, 6226 W. Ogden Ave.
• 35 Sports Bar & Grill, 6801 W. Cermak Road
• Cigars and Stripes BBQ Lounge, 6715 W. Ogden Ave.
• Guadalajara Grill & Bar, 6814 W. Cermak Road
• Pulqueria Chicago, 6543 W. Cermak Road
• The Garage Smokehouse & Bar, 3202 S. Grove Ave.
• Slice Factory, 6920 W. Ogden Ave.
• Wing Boss, 6625 W. Roosevelt Road
• Waldo Cooney's Pizza, 6733 W. Cermak Road.
Round one is a multiple choice poll that asks the public to select as many as five of their favorite Berwyn establishments that serve chicken wings on the menu.
Voting for round one will run through 5 p.m. Jan. 23 at bit.ly/BerwynsBestWings18.
The five most popular businesses will advance to the second round, according to the release. In round two, the top five will identify their favorite specialty chicken wings that will be used in a second round of voting.
This round will bring together a group of local judges for a single taste-test event to compare each serving of wings side by side, the release stated. Their scores, along with another public poll, will determine the wings that will be crowned as “Berwyn’s Best.”
Voting for round one of Berwyn’s Best Chicken Wings Contest will run through 5 p.m. Jan. 23 at bit.ly/BerwynsBestWings18.