Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Print Edition

Print Edition
Subscribe now to the print edition of Suburban Life.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile phone or PDA with news, weather and more from

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Our My Suburban Life Daily Update will send you all of the news you need to keep up with the pace of news in DuPage and Cook County.
Crime & Courts

Neighbor describes seeing young man near site of Downers Grove death investigation

More details may be released Jan. 11, according to DuPage County Sheriff's Office

The DuPage County Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate the reported stabbing death of a woman Jan. 9 at a house near Downers Grove.

The Sheriff's Office released a statement the afternoon of Jan. 10, saying it had no new information to report and could not confirm any media inquires that had been made. However, the office may have more information to release Jan. 11, according to the statement.

The office received a call at about 2 p.m. Jan. 9, Sgt. Bob Harris said that evening from the scene in the 2100 block of 63rd Street. According to media reports, the woman had been stabbed multiple times and her teenage son was taken into custody Jan. 9. He is being questioned in connection with the incident, reports stated.

The office has not confirmed the son is in custody, stating only that the death investigation is still ongoing. There is no word on whether charges have been filed.

Police presence at the house decreased significantly by the afternoon of Jan. 10. One squad car was parked in the driveway at that time, and another was along Pershing Avenue, west of the house.

Don Borrows, 82, who lives two houses west of the house, was on his porch Jan. 9 and saw a young man near the corner of 63rd Street and Pershing Avenue around the time of the incident.

“I saw this guy walking,” Borrows said. “There’s this guy walking down the driveway across the street. He goes by the stop sign but part way in the street. And he stands there looking up for about 10 minutes. He was looking at the sky for a long time.”

The man then walked into westbound 63rd Street, he said.

“All of a sudden, here comes traffic,” Borrows said. “So what does he do? He runs in front of [the cars]. He went right smack in front of them, and once he stopped there, he went around to the driver's side and tried to open the doors, and people were blowing their horns.”

The man then walked east on 63rd Street until he got near Woodward Avenue. He entered the street and again attempted to stop traffic and enter cars, Borrows said. 

Eventually, he returned to the house where the investigation is underway and went "between the houses,” he said. 

“I came back in the house and was going to call police,” Borrows said. “All of a sudden, here’s five police cars. I guess they got him between the houses. After they got him, two cops walked him arm-in-arm over to the squad car.”

Moments later, police summoned an ambulance that was parked across 63rd Street, Borrows said. 

“All of a sudden, 10 minutes later, there’s somebody on a stretcher they’re carrying,” he said.

Borrows said investigators were at the house until about 1 a.m. Westbound 63rd Street was closed to traffic between Woodward Avenue and Belmont Road for much of the night.

Loading more