“Creating Stories/Sharing Lives,” a daylong writing workshop, will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 21, at DeKalb Area Women’s Center, 1021 State St. in DeKalb.
The workshop is based on turning autobio- graphical material into original writing. Those who would like to jump-start their writing while in a community of writers are invited to attend. Participants will be given the opportunity to:
• Release obstacles that may be holding their writing back while setting intentions for their most creative self;
• Learn ways other writers get their creative juices flowing;
• Be led in several writing prompts with time to write;
• Share some of the writing that is done during the workshop, as well as hearing other writers’ stories (sharing is always voluntary);
• Explore writing with multiple senses and how to evoke memories.
This workshop is led by Deborah Gaines, who earned a master’s degree in writing and consciousness from the California Institute of Integral Studies in 2012 and is currently working on a multi-genre memoir about her life in funeral service, “All Paths Lead to Death.”
The cost of the workshop is $50; $35 for DAWC members; $25 for college students with ID. Attendees should bring a notebook, a pen/pencil, and a sack lunch. There is limited space available.
Registration is required and can be completed by contacting the instructor at 815-985-7025 or email@example.com. Registration should include name, address, phone number and email address. Payment can be by check payable to Deb Gaines or through PayPal app.