Steve Soucie brings more than two decades of Illinois high school football knowledge as a contributor to Shaw Media. Follow him on Twitter @thesouc and check out his Week 5 state power rankings here. (Previous ranking and record in parentheses)
1. Lincoln-Way East (4-0, 1): SouthWest Suburban has been a breeze so far, gets tougher next two weeks. Up next: Friday at Lincoln-Way Central.
2. Prairie Ridge (4-0, 2): Wolves have posted over 50 points last three weeks, likely to be done a few more times. Up next: Friday vs. Bartlett.
3. Maine South (3-1, 3): Simply grinded out win over another high quality foe. Up next: Friday vs. Evanston.
4. Phillips (4-0, 4): Said it once will say it again, Phillips likely won’t be pushed for weeks. Up next: Friday vs. Vocational.
5. Lake Zurich (4-0, 5): Bears defense is giving up an average of four points per game. Yes, four. Up next: Friday vs. Warren.
6. Marist (4-0, 6): Looks like we’ll have to wait a few weeks for RedHawks next real test. Up next: Friday at Marian Catholic.
7. Homewood-Flossmoor (4-0, 7): Vikings have no trouble posting points in rivalry win over Bolingbrook. Up next: Friday at Lincoln-Way West.
8. Naperville Central (4-0, 8): Had to sweat one out in super deep DuPage Valley race Up next: at Waubonsie Valley.
9. East St. Louis (3-1, 9): Injury fill-in Jigg Brown has ran for over 400 yards in last two weeks. Up next: Friday vs. Collinsville.
10. Barrington (4-0, 10): Another week another rather comfortable victory. Up next: Friday vs. Fremd.
11. Lyons (4-0, 11): Style points were low, but lack of them doesn’t change the result any. Up next: Friday at Leyden.
12. Loyola (3-1, 12): After Week 1 loss, Ramblers have outscored foes 86-20. Up next: Saturday vs. Fenwick.
13. Cary-Grove (3-1, 14): Offense starting to find its groove with second consecutive 50-plus point outing. Up next: Friday at No. 20 Huntley.
14. Glenbard West (3-1, 15): Really taking out frustration on foes after humbling Week 1 loss. Up next: Friday at Downers Grove North.
15. Hinsdale Central (3-1, 16): A few more weeks of buildup before the big West Suburban Silver clashes. Up next: Friday at York.
16. Nazareth (4-0, 17): Interesting string of games coming up for Roadrunners. Up next: Friday vs. Benet.
17. Stevenson (3-1, 19): Defense has only allowed 2 touchdowns to Illinois teams in 3 games. Up next: Friday at Zion-Benton.
18. Batavia (4-0, 20): Outscoring opponents 156 to 18 thus far. Up next: Friday vs. St. Charles East.
19. Hoffman Estates (4-0, NR): Flying a bit under the radar, but next few weeks should prove mettle. Up next: Friday vs. Conant.
20. Huntley (3-1, 21): There’s no question these guys can score (185 points), but can the defense stop a top opponent? Up next: Friday vs. No. 13 Cary-Grove.
21. Crete-Monee (3-1, 22): Absolutely overwhelmed conference foe Bloom, not the last time that will happen in Southland play. Up next: Saturday at Rich East.
22. Palatine (2-2, 18): The .500 record isn’t what they wanted, but the quality of foe is only going to help down the line. Up next: Friday at Schaumburg.
23. Mount Carmel (3-1, 23): Crossover matchup healed what ailed the Caravan, but dip right back into the Blue this week. Up next: Friday at St. Rita.
24. Rochester (4-0, 24): Offense is clearly stellar, defense doing its part as of late too. Up next: Friday at Jacksonville.
25. DeKalb (4-0, 25): Defense tosses a shutout against Sycamore. Up next: Friday vs. Kaneland.