WESTERN SPRINGS – The Theatre of Western Springs is expected to open as scheduled Sept. 7 after an electrical fire Aug. 29.
The fire, which began in an electrical box in the main building’s lower level, caused some smoke damage and left a coating of soot over parts of the theater. No one was injured in the fire, but the theater lost power.
Theater Executive Director Eddie Sugarman said electricians and cleaning crews have been working hard to get the theater ready for the opening of the musical comedy “Nunsense” on Sept. 7.
“We’re working on getting the mainstage and lobby ready to open. There was no structural damage and everything was contained, but we did have a significant amount of smoke and soot throughout the building,” he said. “We are very fortunate and thankful that no one was injured, and it’s wonderful that we still have a building.”
The fire began about 4 p.m. Aug. 29. Sugarman said he smelled smoke, and when he went to check on what was causing the smell, he noticed sparks coming out of the electrical box. The theater immediately was evacuated, and the Western Springs Fire Department quickly arrived on the scene. Sugarman said he believes the cause of the fire was water leaking into the conduit that goes into the building’s electrical box.
“The Western Springs Fire Department and the other responders were absolute professionals, and they took very good care of us,” he said.
The Western Springs Recreation Center has provided space for the Children’s Theatre classes, and All Souls Episcopal Church and Highland School have provided space for rehearsals to continue.