JOLIET – A Joliet man pleaded guilty Wednesday to the 2015 armed mugging of a Crest Hill couple.
Clarence E. Knight III, 24, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by Judge Dave Carlson in exchange for other charges being dismissed. Knight, who faced up to 30 years behind bars, must serve at least half his sentence before becoming eligible for parole.
About 2 a.m. Sept. 10, 2015, a couple was unloading their car in the 1600 block of Raynor Avenue when Knight and Justin Summlion approached them while carrying what appeared to be handguns, according to Will County Assistant State's Attorney Deborah Mills. The bandits took the man's wallet, the woman's purse, two cellphones, an iPad and medication before driving away.
One of the cellphones was "pinged" to the McDonald's at 508 E. Cass St. in Joliet, but Summlion drove away when Joliet police arrived in the parking lot. Mills said Knight was a passenger in the vehicle while a chase ensued. After reaching Dellwood Park in Lockport, Knight ran from the car but was apprehended.
Mills said police found two handguns and a BB gun that resembled a firearm inside the car. They also recovered one of the stolen cellphones with Knight's fingerprints on it.
Summlion, 29, was sentenced to eight years in prison after pleading guilty earlier this year.