WILMINGTON – Wilmington School District 209-U assured parents and students Tuesday night that its schools are safe after speculation last week of a bomb threat by a student snowballed on social media.
Following a thorough investigation, Superintendent Jay Plese said Wednesday morning the district and the Wilmington Police Department can’t confirm a threat was actually made. When asked if the student who reported the allegation could have misconstrued statements made by another student, Plese said it’s a possibility.
“There was something said last week from a student that was alleged,” Plese said. “But both the administration and the Wilmington Police Department followed up on it last week and this week, and we concluded there is no valid threat. Somehow social media got going, and we all know how that works, but we don’t feel there was a valid threat made.”
The district Tuesday night sent a statement to parents and students, and posted it on its official Facebook page, to clarify what it deemed to be “miscommunication shared on social media.”
“It had been reported to the Wilmington High School administration that a student had allegedly made concerning and threatening statements related to the students and staff of the high school,” the statement read. “After thoroughly investigating the allegations with the assistance of the Wilmington Police Department, it was determined that no real threats had been issued. Both police department and school district officials firmly believe that no students are in danger.”
To help reassure student and parents, Plese requested extra police presence Wednesday at the high school.
“In my opinion it’s best to be proactive,” Plese said. “We live in a world, sad but true, where we have to substantiate and deal with threats.”