Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Suspicious car report leads to marijuana bust
A report of a suspicious vehicle in Brookfield led to possession of marijuana charges at 4:22 a.m. Aug. 15 against a 22-year-old La Grange Park man.
Police were called to the 9500 block of Jackson Avenue on a report of a small vehicle parked but running with two people inside. Police found Joshua A. Smothers, of the 300 block of Beach Street, leaning back in the front seat, reaching for something behind the passenger street. Police noticed a strong smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
A search of the vehicle revealed a green canvas bag that contained a plastic bag with 74.2 grams of marijuana, a smoking pipe and a digital scale.
Smother’s was charged with felony possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Man yelling at traffic is taken into custody
A man observed yelling at and stepping into traffic at Ogden and Deyo avenues was handed over at 7:47 p.m. Aug. 15 after it was discovered he had an active warrant issued by La Grange police.
Derrick A. Moore, 52, of the 3200 block of Calendar Avenue, La Grange, refused to speak to Brookfield officers and appeared to be talking illogically.
Riverside man charged with public drunkenness
A 22-year-old Riverside man was cited for public intoxication after he was observed urinating in an alley at 3:27 a.m. Aug. 16 in the 8800 block of Brookfield Avenue.
Casey C. Willoughby was stopped by police after he attempted to flee from the alley where he was first seen. He was observed to be highly intoxicated and had an extreme odor of alcohol on his breath.
He was cited under a local ordinance for disorderly acts of an intoxicated person and public urination.
Kevin W. Kraus, 21, of the 9300 block of Washington Avenue, Brookfield, was charged at 1:21 a.m. Aug. 12 with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the 3300 block of Grand Boulevard. A strong odor of alcohol was coming from his breath. He also was charged with speeding and not having a driver’s license on his person.
Burglary and theft
• A purse containing identification and credit cards and $45 was reported stolen Aug. 15 from an unlocked vehicle in the 4100 block of Park Avenue.
• An attempted burglary was reported Aug. 15 in the 3700 block of Harrison Avenue. The victim found a storm window propped open with a piece of gutter. A pair of cloth gloves were found next to the window.
Burglary and theft
• A bicycle was reported stolen Aug. 9 from an unlocked garage in the 400 block of Kent Road.
• A bicycle was reported stolen Aug. 6 from a garage in the 300 block of Herrick Road. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A concrete cylinder was reported stolen Aug. 6 from a yard in the 100 block of East Quincy Street.
Efrain Rojas, 32, of the 4300 block of St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, was charged at 11:11 p.m. Aug. 9 with DUI of alcohol following a traffic stop for driving erratically south on Harlem Avenue from Addison Road. Police noticed vomit all over the door of the vehicle and on Rojas’ shirt. A half-empty bottle of beer was found in the car. He also was charged with three other moving violations.
Teen gets charged after threatening neighbors
A 17-year-old was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he threatened his neighbors with a sword and said he would “slice them up” at 4:13 p.m. in the 8600 block of West 44th Street.
Window gets shot by pellet gun as well as dog
A caller told police someone shot out their window with a pellet gun at 4:05 p.m. Aug. 6 in the 4100 block of South Center Avenue.
Another caller reported her dog was shot by a pellet gun at 6:01 p.m. Aug. 10 in the 4300 block of South Amelia Avenue.
Man arrested after returning to business
Michael J. Wiltzius, 43, no listed address, was charged with criminal trespass after returning to Nancy’s Minuteman gas station, 8050 W. Ogden Ave., two times after police told him not to return at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 7.
Wiltzius was charged with trespassing again Aug. 13 at 11:44 a.m. after returning to the area of Hofmann Tower, which he had previously been told not to return to. Wiltzius had previously been charged for being at the location before.
Neighbor dumps trash and parents get cited
Police responded to a call in the 8600 block of West 44th Street at 7:28 p.m. Aug. 9 for a report a resident’s 17-year-old neighbor dumped trash in his backyard. Police rang the 17 year old’s doorbell, but he refused to come to the door. He was told to have his parents contact police when they returned. While at the home, police noticed junked vehicles on the property and refuse in the backyard. The Lyons Building Department was notified of possible code violations and the teen’s parents were cited for disorderly conduct and parental responsibility for acts of vandalism by a minor.
A structure fire was reported at 1:36 p.m. Aug. 13 in the 4500 block of South Center Avenue.
Rhonda M. Flowers, 43, of the 4000 block of South Amelia Avenue, was charged with battery at 7:36 a.m. Aug. 15 after punching a man in the head the day before in the 7700 block of West 43rd Street.
Protection order violation
Lawrence M. Root, 40, of the 300 block of North Yale Avenue, Villa Park, was charged with violating an order of protection at 4:26 p.m. Aug. 8.
Burglary and theft
• A sod roller and a lightweight trailer axle was reported stolen at 9:21 a.m. Aug. 6 from the 4300 block of South Prescott Avenue.
• A bicycle was reported stolen at 1:35 p.m. Aug. 6 from McDonald’s, 7850 Ogden Ave., after being left unsecured.
• A home was reported burglarized at 10:36 p.m. Aug. 6 in the 3900 block of South Haas Avenue. A computer and TV were stolen. Police believed the burglary to have been the result of a dispute between a couple, where one party still had a key. The victim was advised to change their locks.
• A ring was reported stolen from an apartment in the 7900 block of West 46th Street, as reported at 3:35 p.m. Aug. 8.
• A phone was reported stolen at 10:53 p.m. Aug. 8 from Walgreens, 4101 S. First Ave.
• The unauthorized use of a resident’s credit card in the amount of $260 was reported to police at 9:36 a.m. Aug. 12.
• License plates were reported stolen at 12:49 p.m. Aug. 12 from a vehicle in the 4000 block of South Harlem Avenue.
• An apartment in the 7300 block of West Oakwood Avenue was reported burglarized at 5:29 p.m. Aug. 14. At the time of publication, no list of stolen items was available.
A Comcast account was reported opened in a residents name without their permission, as reported to police at 7:49 Aug. 7.
• A vehicle parked in the 8300 block of West 45th Street was struck by a paintball, as reported at 1:32 p.m. Aug. 8.
• A vehicle was reported damaged after someone “keyed” it in the 4400 block of South Prescott Avenue, as reported at 12:43 p.m. Aug. 10.
• A vehicle was reported to have been damaged estimated at $400 at 5:10 p.m. Aug. 11 in the 4000 block of South Gage Avenue.