Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Naked child found wandering outside, father charged
The father of a 2-year-old boy found wandering outside naked was charged with endangering the life and health of a child Aug. 1.
Police responded to a report of the child standing on the corner of 38th Street and East Avenue and called an ambulance to take the child to MacNeal Hospital to determine his condition. Police then canvassed the area to find the parents and were directed by neighbors to the home of Daniel E. O'Brien, 23, of the 3800 block of South East Avenue. Police found the door open and announced they were at the door when O'Brien appeared, apparently unaware the child was missing.
O'Brien said he had returned home from work at 4 a.m. and was awakened by the child's mother at 10 a.m, but fell back asleep. It was determined the child had been left unattended about 20 to 25 minutes before he was found outside. The child was released in the custody of his mother. The Department of Child and Family Services was notified.
Gang member charged for loitering outsider funeral home
A 16-year-old youth from Justice with ties to the Satan's Disciples gang and wearing gang colors and garb was charged with loitering in front of a Berwyn funeral where a fellow gang member killed by a rival gang in Chicago was being waked Aug. 8.
Police were monitoring the front of Linhart Funeral Home, 6820 Cermak Road, when they saw the Justice teenager outside wearing a black and yellow hat tilted to the right side, a black and yellow shirt, and his right pant leg rolled up above his ankle, all consistent with how the gang displays their colors and clothing.
Police said the youth was taken into custody because of the high probability that rival gang members would be in the area to engage in further confrontation. He was charged and released in the custody of his mother.
The family of the dead gang member told police they had already had problems that day with gang activity and had been escorted to the funeral home by Chicago police.
Cicero man mad over price of cigarettes
A 53-year-old Cicero man was charged with disorderly conduct after he harassed customers and berated two clerks at a gas station because of the price of cigarettes Aug. 8.
Dragan Mamlic, of the 2300 block of South 60th Court, had returned to the Shell Gas Station, 6400 W. W. Ogden Ave., for the second time that day to complain about the price of cigarettes. Mamlic began yelling slurs and using abusive language toward the clerks and customers.
Mamlic had been taken into custody Aug. 5 and charged with criminal trespass to state supported land after he entered the Berwyn Recreation Center, 6501 31st St. Mamlic said he wanted to go swimming and had a right to be there. He then said he would not say anything else unless it was in front of a Serbian judge.
Mamlic had been ordered to stay out of the facility in the past.
Burglary and theft reports
• A total of $1,200 was reported stolen from a bedroom in a residence in the 2100 block of South Highland Avenue July 7. A rear door was forced open.
• A white Volkswagen Passatt was reported stolen from the 1900 block of South Wesley Avenue Aug. 7.
• A PlayStation 4 system was reported stolen from a residence in the 3100 block of South Home Avenue Aug. 5.
• A bicycle was reported stolen from a garage in the 2600 block of South Wesley Avenue Aug. 5. Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• Two drills and a nail gun were reported stolen from a basement storage unit in an apartment in the 2200 block of South Oak Park Avenue Aug. 5
• A Garmin GPS unit was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2100 bock of Scoville Avenue Aug. 5.
• A gold 2002 Chrysler van was reported stolen from the 6400 block of West 34th Street Aug. 3.
• An iPad was reported stolen from the front porch of a residence in the 3600 block of South Highland Avenue Aug. 3.
• Two bottles of prescription medication were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2100 block of South Gunderson Avenue Aug. 1. Entry was gained by forcing down the driver's side window.
• Jose M. Mayorga, 31, of the 1400 block of South Kenilworth Avenue, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for ignoring a stop sign at 15th and Maple avenues Aug. 8. Police noticed a strong odor of alcohol on Mayorga's breath. He was also charged with two counts of disobeying stop signs and improper lane usage.
• Joshua S. Collazo, 25, of the 2100 block of South Harvey Avenue, was charged with DUI alcohol after he was observed throwing a can of beer out of his vehicle as he approached a police check point at Wenonah Avenue and Cermak Road at 1 a.m. Aug. 2. Collazo failed field and breath tests. He was also charged with driving without insurance and illegal transportation of alcohol.
• Tracy L. Miller, 42, of the 14000 block of Short Street, Posen, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol after police observed her vehicle strike another vehicle in the 3600 block of Wenonah Avenue at 3:30 a.m. Aug. 2. Miller had a strong odor of alcohol on her breath. She was also charged with having no proof of insurance, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and improper lane usage.
• Flavio J. Mendoza-Zepeda, 31, of the 1800 block of South Wenonah Avenue, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a police radio broadcast for a reckless driver at 1:30 a.m. Aug. 3. Zepeda was stopped at Wesley Avenue and Vacin Fairway where police found an open can of beer in the backseat and a strong odor of alcohol on Zepeda's breath. He was also charged with illegal transportation of alcohol.
Woman robbed of chain around her neck
A woman was the victim of a strong-armed robbery in an alley in the 5900 block of West 26th Street at 5:50 p.m. Aug. 4.
The woman was approached from the rear by a man who grabbed the gold chain and medal from her neck and continued running westbound in the alley.
Man robbed, fights assailant
A man was robbed during a confrontation in the 2200 block of South Laramie Avenue at 11:30 p.m. July 31.
The victim was approached by a man who took the victim’s money and identification from his rear pocket, at which time the victim struck the subject numerous times in the face.
The offender then fled south on Laramie Avenue with a woman who had been with him.
Burglary and theft reports
• A purple bicycle, a black Razor scooter and two folding chairs were reported stolen from a garage in the 5100 block of West 31st Street Aug. 6.
• A Honda air compressor, a tool box with tools, a Beats Box speaker and a Beats Pill speaker were reported stolen from a garage in the 5000 block of West 25th Place Aug. 7. There was no evidence of forced entry.
• A black book bag containing a Dell laptop computer was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3500 block of South 59th Court Aug. 1.
• A handicap placard was reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 4600 block of West Cermak Road Aug 2.
• A green 2001 Nissan mini-van was reported stolen from the 5600 block of West 35th Street Aug. 5.
• A Kenwood stereo, iPhonics amp, two Alpine speakers, a Jordan book bag with clothes and shoes were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 4700 block of West 31st Street Aug. 4. Entry was gained by removing a door handle.
• A Kenwood stereo, Kenwood amp, two Kicker speakers, and Kenwood EPI center were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 4700 block of West 13th Street Aug. 4. Entry was gained through a pried door handle.
• $1,675 in cash was reported stolen from the center console of an unlocked vehicle in the 3500 block of South 61st Avenue Aug. 4.
• A brown wallet containing identification and credit cards and $300 in cash was reported stolen from a vehicle parked next to a garage in the 1600 block of South Cicero Avenue Aug. 4. The victim was in the garage when he heard his car door slam. He exited to see a man walking away from his vehicle who claimed that he did not enter the car, but only shut the door when he found it open as he was walking.
• A maroon 1997 Dodge Savanna was reported stolen from the 1200 block of South 59th Avenue Aug. 3.
• A Canon 7D camera was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3000 block of South Cicero Avenue Aug. 3. Entry was gained through a broken driver's window.
• A maroon 2002 Dodge Caravan was reported stolen from the 2100 block of south 57th Avenue Aug. 2.
• A black 2005 Acura RL, was reported stolen from the 5200 block of West 25th Place Aug. 2.
• $550 in cash, a 42-inch television, Sony PlayStation, and RCA DVD were reported stolen from a residence in the 5000 block of West 21st Place Aug. 1. Entry was gained through a kitchen window.
• A brown 1994 Toyota was reported stolen from the 2500 block of South Austin Boulevard Aug. 1.
• Miscellaneous tools were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 6100 block of West 35th Street July 31. Entry was gained through a broken side window.
• A purse containing $600 in cash and miscellaneous identification documents was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 5800 block of West 16th Street July 31.
• A white 2007 Great Dane trailer was reported stolen from the 3700 block of South Cicero Avenue July 30.
• A Sawzall and miscellaneous hand tools were reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 3600 block of South Austin Boulevard July 30.
• A purse containing identification documents for family members was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1800 block of South 49th Court July 28.