Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Barber robbed of $1,000 while in Oak Park Ave. shop
A 70-year-old barber was robbed of $1,000 at closing time at 5:52 a.m. July 21.
The victim said a male black subject walked into the shop at 3201 S. Oak Park Ave., and asked to have his head shaved. The victim said he didn’t do shaves and became suspicious of the man because his head was shaved already.
He then started taking products off the shelves and asking how much they cost.
The victim then went to the door to escort the man out when the man grabbed his hand and asked if he was prejudice. He then reached into the victim’s pocket, took $1,000 and fled.
The victim said the money came from a Social Security check he cashed earlier that day.
The offender was described as between 40 and 50 years old, wearing a white tank top.
caught in the act
A Chicago man was taken into custody after he was caught in a garage he was allegedly burglarizing in the 6800 block of West 30th Place at 11 a.m. July 20.
Omar Velasquez-Gonzalez, 38. of the 6000 block of South Paulina Street, was observed by the garage owner walking into the garage after placing a bag of 45 records in the bushes. The owner confronted Velasquez-Gonzalez in the garage, where he told the owner he wanted to buy something in the garage.
The victim said he was calling the police and began yelling to his family members to come out to the garage. Velazquez-Gonzalez then offered the victim $20 not to call police. A neighbor had already called police after hearing the victim telling in his garage.
The investigation continues.
Charity jar of change stolen from counter
A jar used to collect change for a children’s charity was stolen from the counter of the Currency Exchange, 6948 Cermak Road, at 4 p.m. July 22.
A clerk said the offender, who was black and wearing black pants and a black shirt, came in with his face covered, grabbed the jar containing no more than $10 and fled.
cause of residential fire
A cigarette may have been the cause of a fire that damaged the rear porch of a residence in the 1600 block of South Wisconsin Avenue at 3:30 p.m. Thursday.
Police arrived at the home and found thick, black smoke coming from the back of the house where the owner was attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Firefighters arrived and extinguished the blaze.
The owner said he was smoking a cigarette on the porch bout an hour before and may have flicked the cigarette butt into a recycling container next to the porch.
Damage was minimal and the residents were allowed to return to their home.
Attempted burglary reported
A man returned home and found two of his televisions outside by the back door of his apartment in the 1600 block of South Gunderson Avenue on Thursday.
Police were called to search the home for intruders but non one was in the apartment. A screen to a window in the front of the building was found pushed in and was the possible point of entry.
Man charged after throwing gang sign
A Berwyn man was charged with reckless conduct for displaying gang signs to a couple who were in their vehicle at Ogden and East avenues on July 23.
The victim told police he and his girlfriend were stopped at the intersection when a man identified as Antwan J. Halmon-Lawrence, 18, of the 7100 block of Windsor Avenue, walked in front of his vehicle and flashed gang signs at him. The victim said he got out of the car and grabbed a baseball bat from his trunk because he was concerned for their safety. Halmon-Lawrence then fled.
He was later apprehended by police at 36th Street and Gunderson Avenue and positively identified by the victim.
• A television, Play Station 3 and a WII game system was reported stolen from a residence in the 1500 block of South Maple Avenue July 24. There were no signs of forced entry.
• Two bicycles were reported stolen from a garage in the 2200 block of South Ridgeland Avenue July 23.
• Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• A bicycle valued at $1,000 was reported stolen from a basement laundry room in an apartment building in the 3100 block of South Harlem Avenue July 23. The bicycle was chained at the time of the theft.
• A bicycle was stolen from outside of Deals, 7101 W. Cermak Road, July 23. The victim said she saw the offender fleeing eastbound on the bicycle.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle at 29th Street and Ridgeland Avenue July 23.
• Two bicycles were reported stolen from a garage in the 1600 block of South Euclid Avenue July 22. An overhead garage door was found open by the victim.
• A furnace, central air conditioning unit, two televisions and three tables were reported stolen from a residence in the 1300 block of South Clarence Avenue July 21. Entry was gained by removing the front door knob.
• A total of 400 compact discs, two flutes, a clarinet, a Dell monitor, keyboard and mouse and a television were reported stolen from a residence in the 3300 block of South Kenilworth Avenue July 21.
• Jesus Estrada, 21, of the 1600 block of South 51st Court, Cicero, was charged with DUI alcohol after being involved in a four-car traffic accident in the 6500 block of West 26th Street at at 6 a.m. July 19.
• Police detected a strong odor of alcohol on Estrada’s breath and he failed field sobriety tests. He refused all chemical testing. He was also charged with no valid driver’s license, no proof of insurance, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and improper lane usage.
Men robbed at gunpoint
Two men were robbed of cash and cellphones at gunpoint while they made a delivery to a liquor store in the 1200 block of South Cicero Avenue at 10:35 a.m. July 24.
The victims were approached by the two men, one brandishing a handgun, and were ordered to hand over cash and phones. One of the offenders then grabbed a case of beer, then both fled on foot east on 12th Street.
One of the men was described as Hispanic, 5-foot-10, 140 pounds, wearing a white shirt and black pants with a tattoo on his neck. The gunman was described as black, 6-foot-3, 140 pounds, wearing a black shirt and pants.
Man knocked out, robbed
A man was knocked unconscious and robbed in the 4800 block of West Cermak Road at 3:50 p.m. July 27.
The victim was approached by a man who demanded his property and when the victim failed to react quickly enough, struck the victim in the face. He then removed a wallet and cellphone from the victim’s pockets.
The victim was assisted by passersby who left before police arrived.
• A lawnmower was reported stolen from an unlocked garage in the 1200 block of South 59th Avenue July 25.
• A cellphone and a wallet containing miscellaneous credit cards and an Illinois Firearm Owners Identification Card were reported stolen from a locker in a gym in the 2300 block of South Cicero Avenue July 23.
• An iPod and $40 in cash were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 19000 block of South 61st Avenue July 25. The offender was seen running from the vehicle by the victim.
• A beige, 2000 Chrysler minivan was reported stolen from the 5800 block of West 15th Street July 24.
• A red, 2006 Dodge Caravan was reported stolen from the 1900 block of South 59th Avenue July 24.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 5000 block of West 14th Street July 20.
• A safe containing $9,000 in cash, a gold chain valued at $10,000, photos and personal papers was reported stolen from an unlocked garage in the 2500 block of South 61st Avenue July 27. The box was being stored by the son of the property owner in the garage.
• Two pairs of Armani sunglasses were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 6100 block of West Cermak Road July 24.
• Four tires and six rims, a Charbroil grill, two bicycles and an edge trimmer were reported stolen from a garage in the 3600 block of South 58th Court July 23. Entry was gained by prying open a service door.
• A GPS unit was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3000 block of South Cicero Avenue July 23.