CRYSTAL LAKE – The Salvation Army of McHenry County plans again to accept donations of school supplies for families in need, according to a news release.
"Our motivation is to ensure that every child has the basic supplies needed for the start of school," said Capt. Carol Lewis, commander of The Salvation Army of McHenry County.
Lewis said in a news release the Salvation Army continues to see an increase in the number of families that need help.
In 2013, The Salvation Army helped provide supplies for more than 1,300 children in the county, the news release said.
Donations of new supplies are being accepted at The Salvation Army's office and four extension locations:
• The Salvation Army Community Center, 290 W. Crystal Lake Ave., Crystal Lake;
• Grafton Township Office at 10109 Vine St., Huntley;
• First Presbyterian Church, 7100 Harvard Hills Road, Harvard;
• M.O.R.E. Center, 829 Greenlee St., Marengo;
• McHenry Township Office, 3703 N. Richmond Road, Johnsburg.
To qualify for assistance, families need to earn no more than 200 percent of the poverty guideline, which is $47,700 for a family of four, and be a McHenry County resident.
Applications for assistance will be taken from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. July 21 through July 25 at The Salvation Army Community Center.
Applications also will be accepted at each of the extension locations. Hours may vary.
For more information, call 815-455-2769, or go to www.salarmycl.org.