Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Man found asleep in stairwell faces drug charges
A 19-year-old Brookfield man was charged with possession of a controlled substance after he was found passed out in a stairwell with a marijuana pipe and cash lying next to him in the 8900 block of Grant Avenue at about 7:30 a.m. July 8.
Miztli Reyes, of the 9100 block of Fairview, was searched by police who found a bag of marijuana in his pocket, as well as a small bag containing seven pills, later identified as Alprazolam. Reyes was also charged with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.
Man peels out, nabbed for marijuana
Screeching tires prompted a traffic stop by police that led to charges of possession of marijuana against a Cicero man at 1:30 a.m. July 12.
Police pulled over Merle J. Womack Jr., 21, of the 1900 block of South 59th Avenue, at the intersection of Ogden and Custer avenues. A strong smell of marijuana came from the vehicle.
Police found a glass pipe and tin can containing marijuana while searching Womack after he told police there was nothing he was hiding. He was also charged with interfering with a village employee and possession of paraphernalia.
Speeding leads to marijuana citation
A 19-year-old Chicago woman was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia following a traffic stop for speeding in the 8900 block of Ogden Avenue at 2:22 a.m. July 11.
Police approached Emma M. W. Kosyla, of the 2000 block of West Lunt Aveunue, and detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. Kosyla admitted to having a "few pieces" in a bag under the seat. Police fond a bag with 1.2 grams of marijuana, as well as a bag with three glass pipes. She was also charged with speeding.
Two safes were reported stolen from Paisan's Pizza, 3720 Grand Avenue, Brookfield, at 7 a.m. July 13. One of the safes was found unopened on the side of a townhouse in the 3700 block of Sunnyside Avenue. The smaller of the two safes has not been recovered.
Kyle T. Padgen, 31, of the 4800 block of West 122nd Street, Alsip, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding and disobeying a traffic sign at the intersection of Prairie and Ogden avenues at 4 a.m. July 12. Officers smelled alcohol on Padgen's breath. He was also charged with having no proof of insurance, disobeying a traffic control device and speeding.
• Tara Crot, 33, of the 300 block of Pinehurst Drive, Palos Heights, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for weaving in the northbound lanes of Harlem Avenue at 5:19 a.m July 5. Police noticed a strong smell of alcohol on her breath. She was also charged with improper lane usage.
• James Beckwood, 39, of the 600 block of South Kostner Avenue, Chicago, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for not using a signal in the southbound lanes of Harlem Avenue at 3:25 p.m. July 6. Police noticed a strong odor of alcohol on Beckwood's breath. He was also charged with illegal transportation of alcohol, driving without headlights when required, failure to signal, improper lane usage and driving while license suspended.
• Aaron Mathis, 30, of the 3700 block of South Clinton Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the northbound lanes of Harlem Avenue at 2 a.m. June 30. Police smelled alcohol on his breath. He was also charged with three other moving violations.
• Dana Viviano, 57, of the 5800 block of South Oak Park Avenue, Chicago, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for weaving in the southbound lanes of Harlem Avenue at 4:30 a.m. July 4. Police noticed an odor of alcohol on his breath. He was also charged with improper lane usage.
• Derrick Eiland, 22, of the 5100 block of Madison Street, Hillside, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for driving too close to the curb in the northbound lanes of Harlem Avenue at 1:33 a.m. July 5. Police noticed a smell of alcohol on his breath. He was also charged with three other moving violations.
• Charles Ernest Greer, 62, of the 3300 block of South Clifton, Springfield, Mo., was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the southbound lanes of First Avenue at 5:25 a.m. July 6. Police smelled a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. He was also issued citations for three other moving violations.
Man charged with disorderly conduct after showing knife to woman
Brian C. Hahn, 34, of the 4000 block of South Anna Avenue, was charged with disorderly conduct after he showed a knife to a woman standing in front of his home at about 12:19 p.m. July 7. The woman told police she was using a laundromat nearby and stepped out to use her phone. She was standing under a tree on the parkway for shade when Hahn arrived home and yelled at her for standing on his property. The woman told Hahn she did not speak English, and he asked to see her "Green Card."
The woman told Hahn she was a citizen and did not need to show him anything. She told police he then threatened to hit her with some "break shoes" if she didn't leave and would call police. He then pulled out a knife from his pocket and began to open and close it. The woman called police and officers spoke with both parties. Hahn said the woman was standing on his lawn, and admitted to pulling the knife out, but said he pulled it out because he had come home. The woman asked police to press charges and Hahn was arrested.
Gun pointed at man
A man reported to police that another man drove up in a car at Harlem Avenue and Joliet road and pointed a gun at him at 10:46 p.m. July 3.
Burglary and theft reports
• Merchandise was reported stolen from a video rental business in the 8500 block of West 43rd Street at 7:17 p.m. July 3. The owner of the business reported that six kids on bikes were looking around the store when he heard glass breaking. The kids broken open a glass sliding door on a case and stole multiple items.
• Clip-on plastic hubcaps were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 8000 block of West 42nd Street at 4:57 p.m. July 4.
• A blower was reported stolen from a truck while parked at a job in the 4300 block of South Prescott Avenue.
• A manager at LA Tan, 8701 West Ogden Avenue, reported that a customer stole a bottle of That So from a display case July 6. The theft was reported to police at 1:59 p.m. July 9 after the manager discovered the theft via a review of video surveillance.
Garage fire reported
A garage fire was reported in the 8100 block of West Christie Avenue at 12:19 a.m. July 5.
Phones stolen from T-Mobile stores
A display phone was reported stolen from T-Mobile, 8499 W. Ogden Ave., at 2:57 p.m. July 6. A second T-Mobile store, at 3850 S. Harlem Avenue, also reported two men matching the description of the offenders in the earlier theft, had stolen phones and warned an employee that if he followed them he would be shot at 3:11 p.m. July 6. Hillside police also reported a similar theft at a T-Mobile store.
Criminal damage to property
• A smashed car windshield was reported to police at 9:24 a.m. July 9 while the car was parked overnight in the 8100 block of West 45th Place, likely between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Adrianna G. Magana, 18, of the 8200 block of West 44th Street, was charged with battery, disorderly conduct, damage to property, resisting arrest and underage consumption of alcohol at 7:38 p.m. July 6 at 45th Street and Riverside Avenue.