Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Berwyn woman beaten on her porch by purse thief
A Berwyn woman was injured after being battered during a strong-arm robbery on her back porch at 1:23 a.m. July 8.
The woman told police she had parked her car in the garage in the 1200 block of South Highland Avenue and was on the back porch opening the door when a man walked up with the lower part of his face covered by his shirt and demanded her purse.
The man forced her down to her knees and began punching her in the head to make her let go of the purse. He then fled with the purse towards the 1200 block of Highland Avenue.
The woman was taken to Loyola Hospital by her husband for treatment.
Dryer fire reported
A dryer fire was reported at a residence in the 3400 block of South Lombard Avenue at 4:51 p.m. July 10. Fire fighters arrived to find black smoke coming from the rear of the home. A resident, who was standing across the street, told firefighters she had gone downstairs to investigate the smoke and saw flames shooting up the wall behind the dryer.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames with minimal property damage.
Traffic stop ends in cocaine charge
A traffic stop ended with drug charges against a 30-year-old Cicero man at 12:48 a.m. July 6.
Noel Martinez, of the 3200 block of South Austin Boulevard, was seen making a left turn without a signal, as well as not wearing a seat belt in the area of Windsor and Grove avenues. Police saw Martinez throw a small white object out of the car as they attempted to pull him over. A plastic bag of cocaine was found in the intersection.
He was charged with possession of a controlled substance, no proof of insurance, expired license plates, failure to signal and not wearing a seat belt.
Salvador Zuniga, 44, of the 1300 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, was charged with DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the 6600 block of of Cermak Road at 2:14 a.m. July 10. Police noticed a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. He was also charged with speeding, improper turn, failure to signal, failure to wear seat belt and operating an uninsured vehicle.
Burglary and theft reports
• Two tool bags containing an assortment of refrigeration tools and gauges was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in a driveway in the 2300 block of South Elmwood Avenue July 10. Entry was gained by forcing open the lock on a side door of the van.
• Copper tubing, a stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer were reported stolen from a vacant property in the 1100 block of East 81st Place July 10. Entry was gained by prying open a rear door.
• A green, 1995 Chevrolet van was reported stolen from the 2100 block of South Oak Park Avenue July 9. It was later recovered in Cicero with a broken window and the in-dash radio missing.
Two robbed at gunpoint
Two people were robbed at gunpoint in the 1900 block of South 57th Court July 11.
Two male subjects forced themselves into the rear yard of vacant property and demanded the victim's property. The victims surrendered their cell phones and were then told to run.
No one was physically harmed.
Gunman robs group sitting on porch
A group of people siting on a porch in the 1800 block of South 50th Court were robbed at gunpoint of their cell phones and an iPad July 13.
The victims said they were approached by a man with a gun wearing a gray ski mask who demanded they surrender their phones and iPad. A second subject then approached and demanded the passwords for the devices and that they be unlocked.
Snatch and run robbery reported
A woman was robbed of a gold and diamond pendant and chain when a man who ran by and snatched it from her neck in the 4600 block of West Cermak Road July 12.
The suspect was described as black, 5-feet 3-inches tall, about 150 pounds, with dreadlocks and wearing a white tank top and shorts.
Burglary and theft reports
• A PlayStation 4, Samsung television, an unknown amount of cash and a large quantity of jewelry was reported stolen from a residence in the 3700 block of South 60th Court July 13. Entry is believed to have been gained through a basement window.
• Two air compressors, a Stanley tool box with Craftsman tools and a Craftsman tool box with sockets and wrenches were reported stolen from a garage in the 1200 block of South 60th Court July 13. Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• Tools were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3600 block of South 55th Avenue July 13. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A Pioneer stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3500 block of South 55th Court July 13.
• A residence was reported ransacked in the 5000 block of West 18th Street July 12. Entry was gained through a front window.
• A Cobra radar detector and a Tom Tom GPS were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2500 block of South 60th Court July 12. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A Sony stereo, clothing, shoes and a purse were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2500 block of South 57th Avenue July 12. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A Stream stereo system was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 5000 block of West Roosevelt Road July 12. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A white, 2003 Ford Econoline 150 was reported stolen from the 5200 block of West 32nd Street July 12.
• A red, 2000 Dodge Caravan was reported stolen from the 5600 block of West 15th Street July 10.
• A radio was reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 1500 block of South 61st Avenue July 9.
• Two mountain bikes were reported stolen from a garage in the 3500 block of South 61st Avenue July 8. Entry was gained through an overhead door.
• A stereo, amplifiers and two 120-inch speakers were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1800 block of South 61st Court July 7. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A speaker box was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 5300 block of West 26th Street July 6. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A stereo, amplifiers and two 12-inch speakers were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1800 block of South 61st Court July 7. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• $10 in cash was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 6100 block of West 28th Street July 9.
• A cell phone and $40 in cash was taken from an unlocked vehicle in an unlocked garage in the 1400 block of South 61st Avenue July 2.