Mostly Cloudy
71°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Welders cause small fire at Morton East

Published: Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:45 a.m. CDT

CICERO – A small fire reported at Morton East High School Thursday morning, 2423 S. Austin Blvd., was quickly contained, according to school officials.

According to District 201 Superintendent Micheal Kuzniewski, a small fire was ignited on the roof of the building by contractors during the installation of an air handler unit.

Town of Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania said contractors who were welding I-beams on the roof Wednesday night were believed to have caused some insulation to smolder, which led to a small fire Thursday morning.

Hanania said that the building was empty at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported. He described the damage as minor and mainly contained to the insulation.

According to Kuzniewski, the insulation material was flame retardant, but the welding did cause a small amount of insulation to smolder and smoke. There was minimal damage to the roof as the the fire was extinguished.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Comments

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

iFLY brings skydiving indoors

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

What was your favorite school age with your kids?
Grade school
Middle school
High school
College