Print Edition

Print Edition
Subscribe now to the print edition of Suburban Life.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile phone or PDA with news, weather and more from

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Our My Suburban Life Daily Update will send you all of the news you need to keep up with the pace of news in DuPage and Cook County.
Local News

Storm not as bad as feared, brings local flooding and some power outages

Monday night's storm brought a fantastic lighting display – sure to rival Friday's Independence Day firework shows – as well as heavy rain and strong winds. However, the storm was the not the destructive force that hit other Midwestern states earlier on Monday.

The storm hit around 7:30 p.m., a bit later than expected, and initially brought high winds, followed by pouring rain and frequent lightning. The storm's second wave brought even more rain, which caused flooding on some suburban streets.

On Tuesday morning, ComEd was reporting power outages across the western suburbs. ComEd reported small, localized outages in Cicero, Stickney, La Grange and Countryside. In most cases, less than 10 customers in each area were affected.

La Grange experienced street and rear yard flooding along with basement backups, which led the sewer system to hit its capacity with the rain water, according to Ryan Gillingham, P.E. Director of Public Works.

"In the first wave of the rain, it appeared our system was able to keep up, however the second wave that came through exceeded the [system's] capacity," Gillingham said. 

Gillingham added that the village is in the process of meeting with residents who had backups to discuss protective measures for future storms.

Countryside also experienced major flooding in town, according to Jim Essig, Director of Public Works. Essig said eight streets in town flooded.

"It took until about 1:30 a.m. [for the water] to recede, but conditions are back to normal," Essig said. "And [there was] some minor tree damage throughout the town."

In Countryside, Essig said the Public Works team spent two hours clearing water after the first storm and about five hours in the aftermath of the storm's second wave.

In Riverside, police reported no major problems, despite First Avenue some flooding near the rail road bridge by Riverside Brookfield High School.

According to the National Weather Service, the Des Plaines River at Riverside rose to 6.30 feet by 9 a.m. Tuesday. The river could continue to rise today, with the National Weather Service predicting a height of 6.8 feet, still below flood stage at 7 feet. A flood warning will be in affect until Wednesday morning.

The area could see some rain and/or thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon, but the weather is largely expected to clear. On Fourth of July, temperatures are expected to be in the upper 70s with clear skies.

Be the first to know

Be the first to read about news in your area by signing up for our breaking news text alerts at


Kristin Pedicini contributed reporting for this story. 

Loading more