The Berwyn Suburban Life took home several awards June 13 from the annual Illinois Press Association luncheon in Springfield.
The IPA contest is open to newspapers throughout the state and issues awards in six divisions. The Berwyn Suburban Life competed in the division for weekly newspapers with a circulation of more than 3,000 and less than 10,000.
Included in the paper's haul was a first-place award for best overall newspaper design.
"We're always looking for ways to deliver a better newspaper to our readers, and these awards show that we're on the right track," Managing Editor Dave Lemery said. "And we're far from done – there are a million stories to tell in Berwyn, Cicero and Stickney, and we're proud to be a part of those communities."
The contest was judged by journalists from the North Carolina Press Association.
In awarding the paper best overall design, judges described the Berwyn Suburban Life as a "great looking paper that looks professionally designed. Great attention to typography, white space, insets and more. Very nice."
The newspaper also received:
• Second place for best sports section;
• Second place for best special section, for the football preview section "Touchdown 2013";
• Third place to Sarah Minor for best feature photo;
• Honorable mention in business/economic reporting for reporter Joe Sinopoli for his story, "Rudolph gets added to holiday menu"; and
• Honorable mention in single page design for former designer Laura Mihelich.