Mostly Cloudy
72°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Carbon dioxide leak causes La Grange Park Panera to close briefly

Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:51 p.m. CDT

LA GRANGE PARK – Panera Bread, 439 N. La Grange Road, was closed briefly on Tuesday due to a carbon dioxide leak, the La Grange Park Fire Department reported Wednesday.

The fire department was called at about 3:30 p.m. after a leak occurred in the business' carbon dioxide system, which is used to carbonate fountain drinks.

The businesses was evacuated as fire department personnel responded, but reopened within 20 minutes after it was ventilated, according to a news release from Fire Chief Dean Maggos.

Carbon dioxide is considered relatively safe, Maggos said in the release, but can cause frostbite for those who come in contact with it and can cause suffocation if levels in small, enclosed spaces get high enough.

The fire department was able to slow the leak and check oxygen levels in the business to confirm levels were safe for employees and customers to re-enter.

No injuries were reported.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

iFLY brings skydiving indoors

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

What was your favorite school age with your kids?
Grade school
Middle school
High school
College