Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Man reports he was attacked at bus stop
A 66-year-old Lyons man was attacked by a young man while waiting at a bus stop at Cermak Road and Ridgeland Avenue at 6:22 p.m. May 31.
The man said the offender got out of a green Chevy SUV and attempted to kick him, then started punching him in the face. He then ran back to the SUV and fled.
Loud party ends with charges for resisting, obstructing police
A report of a loud party ended with the arrest with three men on charges of obstruction and resisting arrest, as well as battery, at 11:30 p.m. June 1.
Police were called to a garage in the 3100 block of South Clarence Avenue where they heard music and people talking. Ernesto Quezada, 20, of the 2800 block of South Wenonah Avenue, answered the door. Quezada attempted to stop an officer from going into the garage to determine if those who were drinking inside were of legal age. He was taken into custody.
Santino F. Covarrubias, 20, of the 3100 block of South East Avenue, and Nicholas Engle, 21, of the 2300 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, exited the house where Covarrubias identified himself as a resident and refused to wake up his mother who was sleeping inside the home. Covarrubias became belligerent and told police they had no reason to be in the yard. Police attempted to place cuffs on Covarrubias who refused, and Engle intervened. Quezada was charged with obstructing a police officer.
Covarrubias was eventually pepper sprayed and stopped resisting police. He was charged with obstructing a police officer and resisting a police officer.
Engle was charged with battery and obstructing a police officer.
Man loses part of finger in altercation
A 23-year-old Berwyn man lost the tip of one of his fingers during an altercation with a friend he was drinking with in the 7100 block of West Riverside Drive at 12:41 a.m. June 1.
The victim's girlfriend said she was getting her infant daughter from the rear of the victim's vehicle when a fight began between the victim and a friend. During the fight, the friend threw a free weight, breaking the victim's windshield. The friend then grabbed a spatula and began swinging it the victim, who told police he believed that was what severed his finger.
The severed fingertip was found on the sidewalk and was transported with the victim to MacNeal Hospital.
Fire possibly caused by sawdust
A bag of sawdust is suspected of causing a fire that damaged two garages in the 1300 block of South Scoville Avenue at 10:26 p.m. June 3.
One of the garage's owners said he installs wooden floors and had collected hot saw dust in a garbage bag after sanding a floor earlier that day. He threw the bag in a garbage bin located between the garages when he came home from work, where it is believed it caught fire through spontaneous combustion.
Vehicle fire extinguished
A vehicle was reported destroyed by fire while parked in front of a residence in the 1300 block of South Maple Avenue at 2:41 a.m. June 4.
Firefighters found the 2000 Dodge Caravan completely engulfed in flames when they arrived. The owner of the vehicle told police the van had not had any recent mechanical problems and that their had been no problems with anyone recently that would suggest arson.
Fire officials were unable to determine the cause of the fire.
Burglary and theft reports
• An air conditioning unit was reported stolen from a vacant residence in the 1800 block of Highland Avenue at noon June 4. Neighbors reported seeing a man putting the unit inside a black, full sized cargo van with lettering on the side for home improvements and repairs before diving away.
• A red, 1995 Mercury Sable was reported stolen from the 6900 block of West Stanley Avenue June 3.
• A bicycle valued at $250 was reported stolen from a backyard in the 1800 block of South Wenonah Avenue June 3.
• A patio umbrella was reported stolen from the back yard of a residence in the 3000 block of South East Avenue June 2.
• A portable work radio valued at $100 was reported stolen from a garage in the 3600 block of South Scoville Avenue June 2. Entry was gained through a forced service door.
• A leather jacket containing a Link card, two Visa cards, a birth certificate and a Social Security card was reported stolen after a man fell asleep at the Oak Park Avenue train station June 2.
• A bicycle was reported stolen from a garage in the 1200 block of South Clinton Avenue June 2. Entry was gained through a broken overhead door.
• A 60-inch Sony Brava television, jewelry and watches were reported stolen from a residence in the 1400 block of South Wisconsin Avenue June 2. A resident believed the doors may have been unlocked at the time of the theft.
• A stroller, car seat and 7-inch computer tablet were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2100 block of South Highland Avenue June 2. There were no signs of forced entry.
• Two bicycles were reported stolen from a garage in the 1200 block of South Euclid Avenue June 1.
• An air conditioning unit was reported stolen from a residence in the 3400 block of South Harvey Avenue June 1.
• A circular saw and a leaf blower were reported stolen from a garage in the 1500 block of South Kenilworth Avenue June 1. Entry was gained through an unlocked service door.
• An air conditioning unit was reported stolen from a vacant residence in the 3400 block of South Highland Avenue May 30.
Artasia M. White, 20 of the 1800 block of South Harding Avenue, Chicago, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding and running a red light in the 6100 block of West Ogden Avenue at 4:44 a.m. June 1. Police smelled alcohol on her breath and found a pill in her purse that was suspected of being the drug ecstasy. White was also charged with possession of a controlled substance, illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor, no valid driver's license, reckless driving, speeding and disobeying a traffic signal.
• Nicolas Marquina-Ortiz, 24, of the 1700 block of North Central Park, Chicago, was charged with two counts of DUI alcohol following a traffic stop for drifting in and out of his lane between the 1600 and 1200 blocks of Harlem Avenue at 2 a.m. May 31. Police smelled a strong odor of alcohol on Ortiz's breath, who insisted he had not been drinking. He was also charged with having no insurance and improper lane usage.
Vehicle chased, driver fired upon by gunman
An 18-year-old Cicero man reported being fired upon by a car full of men while he was driving in the 5000 block of West 29th Place at 7:20 p.m. June 8.
The victim said he was being chased by a vehicle containing four male subjects at which time one of them pointed a revolver and fired at least three shots at his vehicle, striking the vehicle once.
The offender’s vehicle then crashed into a parked vehicle at 29th Place and 51st Avenue, the victim said, who then continued to flee and notified police. Police responded to the scene of the accident, but the offenders had fled the area.
The offenders' vehicle was described as a late model burgundy Honda or Toyota four-door.
Home invasion leads to robbery
Three men reportedly forced their way into a home in the 1400 block of South Central Avenue, tied up a man an woman and stole cash and jewelry at 4 a.m. June 8.
The 43-year old victim told police the men forced open the front door, came in and started beating him with a pistol. He and a 29-year-old woman were then tied up with a phone cord and shoe laces while the offenders demanded to know where the money was.
A gold chain and $1,400 in cash as well as computer cards from the victims' cell phones were taken before the men fled.
Burglary and theft reports
• A furnace, 12 light fixtures, a condenser and coil from an air conditioning unit and 40 feet of copper tubing that was pulled out of the walls was reported stolen from a vacant residence in the 4800 block of 22nd Place June 2.
• Numerous power tools and hand tools were reported stolen from a work van in the 3100 block of South 53rd Avenue June 7.
• A green, 1996 Honda was reported stolen from the 2400 block of South 59th Court June 6.
• An air conditioning unit that had been delivered and left by UPS was reported stolen from a residence in the 2200 block of South Austin Boulevard June 7.
• Catalytic converters were reported from three vehicles in the 3500 blocks of 58th Court and 59th Avenue Between June 7 and 8.