Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Hemmed in, driver pushes parked car out of the way
A Lyons man was charged with failure to give information after striking an unattended vehicle after he pushed a Ford parked in front of him out of the way with his Mercury at 12:22 a.m. Feb. 22.
The complainant, from the 3500 block of Blanchan Avenue, said he heard a loud noise and looked out the window to see a car pushing his own car forward. He ran out and asked the driver of the car what he was doing, and the driver fled without answering. The complainant then took down the license plate number and called police.
Using the number, police tracked and found Robert Czarnowski, 62, of the 4600 block of Joliet Road, at home. Czarnowski admitted to striking the other vehicle because he was unable to get out of the parking spot as a result of limited space between his car and the vehicle parked in front of him.
He also said he as unaware the complainant wanted to talk to him when he came outside. Czarnowski was taken into custody and charged.
Hitchhiker charged with resisting arrest
A Kansas man was charged with resisting arrest and soliciting for rides after he was stopped for questioning in the 4500 block of Eberly Avenue at shortly before 11 p.m Feb. 20.
Scot E. Yaccino, 47, who gave 211 W. Florence, Cunningham, Kan., as his latest address, was walking backwards with his thumb out when he was observed by police. During questioning, Yaccino said he was headed for a BEDS homeless shelter. A strong odor of alcohol was on his breath.
Yaccino refused orders to move in front of the squad car and was seen reaching toward the front of his belt with his right hand. Back up officers arrived and he continued to resist, screaming obscenities.
Once contained, he was searched and police found a small pocket knife on his right pocket. Police said it was unclear if Yaccino was trying to retrieve the knife during his arrest.
Man taking nap taken by police on warrant
A man found sleeping in his vehicle in the 31st Street Forest Preserve grove was taken into custody on a warrant issued for stealing the vehicle in which he was found sleeping at 10:21 a.m. Feb. 23.
Kim L. Denault, 58, of Oak Park, told police he was waiting at the grove until the Brookfield library opened. Police discovered the VIN number didn’t match the vehicle after the number was run through LEADS, which indicated the car had been stolen from Elmhurst.
Elmhurst police were notified and said Denault had taken the vehicle on a test ride and never returned.
• Ramon A. Mendoza, 31, of Berwyn, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop at Ogden and Forest avenues at 3:46 a.m. Feb. 23. Mendoza was also charged with speeding, reckless driving and improper lane use.
• Nathaniel Moffett, 21, of the 3700 block of East Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, possession of marijuana, aggravated battery to a police officer, aggravated battery to a firefighter/paramedic and numerous other charges following a traffic stop at 1:13 a.m. Feb. 18. Moffett was also charged with resisting arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia, improper lane use, fleeing or attempting to elude police, driving without lights when required, operating an uninsured vehicle, disobeying a traffic signal, driving too fast for conditions and improper lane use.
Burglary and theft reports
• A 60-inch television and a PlayStation were reported stolen from a ransacked home in the 4600 block of Maple Avenue on Feb. 19. Entry was gained by forcing the rear door.
• More than $20,000 in jewelry was reported stolen from a jewelry box in a home in the 9100 block of Brookfield Avenue Feb. 18. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A fire hydrant was reported to be lying in the street at the corner of 47th Street and Forest Avenue at 4 p.m. Feb. 20. It is believed that a vehicle may have backed into the hydrant.
Burglary and theft reports
• An Apple iPhone valued at $500 was reported stolen from a locker room bench at XSport Fitness, 3940 S. Harlem Ave., at 7 p.m. Feb. 22.
• A 53-foot Great Dane box trailer was reported stolen from the rear lot of 8141 W. 47th St. Feb. 11.
• A red, 1997 Nissan truck was reported stolen from the 4000 block of South Gage Avenue Feb. 17.
• Stephano Erwin-Pacione, 21, of the 4600 block of South Custer Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and numerous other charges after he was found sitting in a stranger’s vehicle in the 4600 block of Custer Avenue at 4:18 a.m. Feb. 22. Pacione had previously attempted to force his way into a residence at that address and his black Honda was found parked in front with front end damage and deployed air bags. A vehicle believed damaged by Pacione was found parked in the 8700 block of 43rd Street. He was also charged with criminal trespass to vehicle, criminal damage to property, leaving the scene of an accident and failure to give information after striking a vehicle.
• Sy Harris, 23, of the 400 block of Hanna Avenue, Forest Park, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding and other violations as he drove the wrong way on Miller Road in Riverside at 3:24 a.m. Feb. 21.
• Billy Cabrera, 22, of the 8800 block of West Plainfield Road, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol and one count of driving under the influence of drugs following a traffic stop for speeding and refusing to stop for police until he arrived at his residence at 11:44 p.m. Feb. 12. Numerous full and empty cans of alcoholic beverages were found inside his vehicle, as well as a partially smoked marijuana cigarette.
• Gerardo Campos, 19, of the 78100 block of West Christie Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop in the 8100 block of 47th Street. He was also charged with driving too fast for conditions, driving off the roadway, two counts of driving without insurance and driving without a seatbelt.
• Frank Guzman, 45, of the 2100 block of South Wesley Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for repeatedly crossing the yellow line while driving eastbound in the 7900 block of Ogden Avenue at 11:25 p.m. Feb. 14. He was also charged with improper lane usage, making an improper turn, failure to signal and failure to wear a seatbelt.
• Erik Corral, 26, of the 1800 block of South Harlem Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for drifting right and left over the lane markers southbound on Harlem Avenue at 12:32 a.m. Feb. 20. He was also issued three traffic citations.
• Joseph M. Manetti, 33, of the 15000 block of Yorkshire Lane, Orland Park, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for crossing lane marker on Harlem Avenue and making oncoming traffic take evasive measures after turning onto Ogden Avenue at 4:34 a.m. Feb. 23. He was also issued traffic citations.