Police reports: Berwyn and Cicero for April 23
Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
found in dumpster
Tactical officers recovered a handgun with the help of an informant April 12.
The gun was found in a dumpster in the 7100 block of Ogden Avenue after police obtained information from a person who wished to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals.
The gun was discovered to have been stolen from Indiana.
Fight ends in charges at 7-Eleven on 16th Street
It started with a “what’s up” and evolved into a fight between two men in a parking lot at 2 a.m. April 13.
Jose L. Abarca, 22, of the 1900 block of South 61st Court, Cicero, said he was getting back into a car after making purchases at the 7-Eleven, 6603 W. 16th St., when Eric Pena, 24, of the 1400 block of South Harvey Avenue, Berwyn, said something to him from a parked vehicle. Abarca said he didn’t understand what Pena said so he replied “What’s up?”
Abarca said he and Pena then exited their vehicles and Pena, who was holding a screwdriver, started throwing punches at him.
Pena said he was the one who asked “What’s up” when he noticed Abarca looking at him as Abarca sat in his vehicle.
Police had been called and arrived just before the fight could continue. Pena said he was holding a screwdriver in his left hand in case Abarca had a weapon.
Pena was charged with reckless conduct and Abarca was charged with for assault and affrays.
Man jumps from cab, flees after borrowing phone
A man who was sharing a cab with an acquaintance borrowed his cellphone then fled from the cab with the phone and without paying his cab fair at 5 a.m. April 14.
The victim said the man was an acquaintance from a Chicago bar and they were going to share the cab fare for a ride.
The man fled in the 2100 block of Euclid Avenue.
Car trailer overturns, three vehicles damaged
A trailer carrying three cars that was being pulled by a truck rolled over, damaging the three cars and the trailer at 5:22 p.m. April 16 at 26th Street and Harlem Avenue.
The driver said he had just completed his turn in the north lanes of Harlem Avenue when he felt the front of his truck tilt back, at which time the trailer he was pulling rolled over on its side.
A lamp post and sidewalk were also damaged.
The driver was issued three citations.
Leonardo Perez, 30, of the 2700 block of South Ridgeway Avenue, Chicago, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after he was found unconscious in his vehicle, which was stopped on a parkway in the 3500 block of South Cuyler Avenue after hitting a parked car at 4 a.m. April 12.
Police noticed a strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath. When asked where he was coming from, Perez said he had just left the Cook County Sheriff’s Academy and showed officers a Sheriff’s Recruit Identification Card. He was also charged with improper lane usage and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. The director of Internal Affairs for Cook County Police requested officers confiscate the Cook County identification card from Perez and that he would be in to get it at a later date.
Burglary and theft reports
• Jewelry, cameras, purses and a computer were reported stolen from a residence in the 2800 block of South Lombard Avenue on April 16. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A bicycle valued at $200 was reported stolen from a garage in the 2800 block of South Harvey Avenue April 15. Entry was gained through an unlocked service door.
• A purse containing a wallet was reported stolen from a car parked in a garage in the 6500 block of West 27th Place on April 14. Two cases of beer were also missing from the garage. The garage and the vehicle were unlocked at the time of the theft.
• Jewelry, including a Rolex watch, was reported stolen from an apartment in the 6900 block West 21st Street April 14. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 3700 block of South Scoville Avenue April 11.
• Several power tools were reported stolen from a residence in the 6800 block of West 13th Street April 12.
• An antique gold ring, two televisions, a set of keys and an Illinois Diver’s License were reported stolen from a residence in the 1200 block of South Wisconsin Avenue April 11.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3800 block of South Wesley Avenue April 11.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2500 block of South Harvey Avenue April 10.
• A pair of soccer shoes and a jacket was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1200 block of South Oak Park Avenue April 11. An Easter bunny yard ornament was used to break a rear passenger window to gain access to the stolen items.
• A GPS unit and charger, a stereo and several Comcast cable TV boxes were reported stolen from a vehicle while it was parked in the Metro Towing impound yard April 6.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3800 block of South Oak Park Avenue April 11.
• A stereo system was reported stolen from a car parked in the 1500 block of South Grove Avenue April 11. Entry was gained by popping four door locks from the doors.
Burglary and theft reports
• Copper supply tubing was reported stolen from the Laundry Works, 5645 W. Roosevelt Road, Cicero, on April 14. The same subject then climbed to the roof and attempted to remove a roof top air conditioning unit from the building.
• Two televisions and two DVD players were reported stolen from a residence in the 2400 block of South 50th Avenue April 17. Entry was gained by unknown means.
• Two generators, two drills, a lawn mower, snow blower and two Craftsman tool boxes with hand tools were reported stolen from a garage in the 1800 block of South 58th Avenue April 17. Entry was gained by forcing open an overhead door.
• A black, 1998 GMC Sonoma was reported stolen from the 2900 block of South 49th Avenue April 17.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1900 block of South 48th Court April 17.
• A new, in box Frigidaire kitchen stove, a Toro lawn mower and a wheelbarrow were reported stolen from a garage in the 3300 block of South Lombard Avenue April 16. Entry was possibly gained through an open overhead door.
• A total of four catalytic converters were reported stolen from four vehicles in the 3500 block of 53rd Avenue April 16.
• Several tools and two CPR mannequins were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 6000 block of West 24th Street April 14.
• A beige, 2003 Chrysler minivan was reported stolen from the 1600 block of South 47th Court April 15.
• A red, 1997 Chevrolet Express 1500 was reported stolen from the 3400 block of South 59th Avenue April 15.
• Jewelry and a laptop computer were reported stolen from a residence in the 5600 block of West 23rd Street April 14. The victim returned home to find her bedroom door locked from the inside. After gaining entry, the victim observed that the window had been forced open.
• A white, 2002 Ford F350 was reported stolen from the 5600 block of West Cermak Road April 14.
• A kicker box, speakers and amplifier were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1300 block of South 59th Court April 13. Entry was gained by breaking a rear window.
• A silver, 2009 Mazda CX7 was reported stolen from the 3800 block of South 60th Court April 11.
• A gold, 1998 Nissan Maxima was reported stolen from the 1800 block of South 50th Avenue April 11.