One dead in Naperville apartment fire
NAPERVILLE – A woman was pronounced dead after being found in a burning apartment building by Naperville firefighters Thursday night, according to a Naperville Fire Department news release.
The department responded at 11:33 p.m. to multiple 911 calls from residents at 108 Douglas Ave. reporting smoke and fire in the three-story building, the release said. Several emergency vehicles were dispatched to the scene, where firefighters found smoke coming from the second floor window.
Cariene Jones, 39, was discovered unconscious in the second floor apartment where the fire originated, according to the DuPage County Coroner's Office. Attempts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead at Edward Hospital, the release said.
Her cause of death is pending further investigation, according to the coroner's office.
The fire was caused accidentally by unattended cooking, according to Naperville Fire Department Deputy Chief Rick Sanders.
It was brought under control within 10 minutes, the release said.
Fire and smoke caused damages worth about $100,000 to the building's second and third floors and attic, according to the release. Two apartments were deemed uninhabitable by an inspector.
The Naperville Fire Department was assisted on scene by the Naperville Police Department, the Naperville Emergency Management Agency, the DuPage County Fire Investigation Task Force and the Office of the State Fire Marshal. Surrounding departments provided coverage at Naperville's fire stations during the incident.