Berwyn's Old Fashioned Candies struck by fire again
BERWYN – A malfunction in a rooftop heating and air-conditioning unit is believed to be the cause of a fire at the Old Fashioned Candies building Tuesday night.
Fire officials said they received several 911 calls at about 6:30 p.m. reporting heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof of 6210 W. Cermak Road.
The first units that arrived immediately doused the roof top to knock down flames before firefighters entered the building to search for any possible victims. No one was in the building, officials said.
The building was under restoration as a result of a fire on Jan.16 that gutted Art's Bicycle Shop next door at 6212 W. Cermak Road. The candy store sustained heavy smoke and water damage in that blaze.
Officials said the building again sustained smoke and water damage, as well as damage to its roof.
One firefighter had minor injuries to his hand and was treated at the scene. Firefighters cleared the scene at 8:15 p.m.
Fire departments that assisted Berwyn came from Cicero, North Riverside, Oak Park, River Forest, Riverside and Lyons.