Smoke leads to brief evacuation of Lemont daycare center

LEMONT – The Lemont Fire Protection District responded to smoke coming from a broken furnace belt Monday afternoon at the Learning Experience, 15434 W. 127th St.

According to Battalion Chief Matt Peksa, the daycare center called the district after seeing smoke coming from the attic and evacuated the students.

Peksa said the children were outside for 10 minutes before the responding firefighters found the source of the smoke and determined it was safe to go back in.