Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Patient charged with heroin possession
A woman being treated for injuries at MacNeal Hospital was subsequently charged with possession of a controlled substance after hospital security found 26 small bags of heroin in her purse Feb. 12.
A security officer was conducting an inventory of a purse owned by Chantel M. Whitehead, 22, of the 400 block of Kensington Avenue, La Grange, who was in the emergency room being treated for lacerations to her left forearm.
Whitehead had been taken to the hospital after Riverside police stopped her fiance for speeding at Ogden and Harlem avenues and observed Whitehead with a laceration and called paramedics.
Whitehead’s injuries occurred at the Roadway Inn in Lyons.
Traffic stop leads
to marijuana arrest
A traffic stop for speeding ended in charges of possession of marijuana and illegal transportation of alcohol Feb. 8.
Driver Vanessa M. Artis, 20, of the 1800 block of South 11th Avenue, Maywood, was stopped in the 7100 block of Cermak Road for speeding when officers immediately noticed the smell of marijuana in the vehicle. A search of the vehicle revealed a small bag of marijuana and two open bottles of mixed drinks.
Artis also was charged with speeding and driving with only one headlight.
Man drives into building, charged with DUI
A Berwyn man was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after he drove his vehicle through the front of an insurance office just before 2 a.m. Feb. 9.
Police were called by a witness to the Allstate office, 3151 S. Oak Park Ave., where they found a vehicle driven by Terry L. Lewis, 39, of the 3100 block of South Oak Park Avenue, in the front window of the business.
Lewis told police he tried to brake, but lost control of the vehicle. The witness said Lewis made no attempt to stop before hitting the building. Lewis had a strong smell of alcohol on his breath and admitted to drinking with friends.
Lewis also was charged with disobeying a stop sign, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, failure to yield at an intersection and having no proof of valid insurance.
Burglary and theft reports
• A snow blower was reported stolen from a garage in the 3100 block of South Maple Avenue on Feb. 12. Entry was gained through a broken overhead door.
• A handgun and a TV were reported stolen from a residence in the 6600 W. 31st Street on Feb. 11. Entry was gained through a forced open side door.
• A heating and air conditioning unit was reported stolen from a storage shed in an apartment building in the 1600 block of South Gunderrson Avenue on Feb. 10. Entry was gained through a forced door.
• A Macbook Pro laptop was reported stolen from a residence in the 2200 block of East Avenue on Feb. 7.
• Joel Negrete-Tovar, 43, of the 6400 block of West 16th Street, was charged with two counts of aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the 6300 block of 16th Street on Feb. 10. He also was charged with driving without lights when required, speeding, driving without insurance, driving without a valid driver’s license and illegal transportation of alcohol.
• Martin Perez, 38, of the 6900 block of West 30th Place, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the 6400 block of Cermak Road just before 2 a.m. Feb. 8. Police noticed a strong smell of alcohol in the vehicle. Perez refused field sobriety and breathalyzer tests. He was also charged with speeding and operating an uninsured vehicle.
• Ashley N. Norwood, 38, of the 2400 block of Brookland Lane, Plainfield, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for speeding in the 2500 block of South Ridgeland Avenue at 3:14 a.m. Feb. 8. Norwood was also charged with disobeying a stop sign, illegal transportation of alcohol and operating an uninsured vehicle.
Burglary and theft reports
• Construction materials and fixtures were reported stolen from a garage in the 2100 block of South 48th Court Feb. 8. Entry was gained by forcing doors open.
• A white, 1993 International tow truck with an unknown vehicle on the bed of the truck was reported stolen from the 3200 block of South Laramie Avenue Feb. 7.
• A red, 1994 Acura Integra was reported stolen from the 1300 block of South 50th Court Feb. 8.
• A black, 1998 Nissan Maxima was reported stolen from the 5500 block of West 31st Street Feb. 8.
• A blue, 2000 Pontiac van was reported stolen while it was left unlocked and running in the 1900 block of South 49th Court Feb. 8.
• A gray, 2002 Honda Odyssey was reported stolen while it was left unlocked and running from the 1800 block of South 49th Court Feb. 7.