Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Tobacco sting nets two stores selling to minors
Two retail stores were issued citations for the sale of tobacco to minors as a result of a sting operation through the Illinois Liquor Commission’s You Can’t Buy’em Here grant Feb. 1.
Two 17-year-old girls were enlisted to attempt to buy cigarettes at several retail operations and were allowed to make a purchase at Family Liquors, 6428 W. Cermak Road, and El Rancho Food Mart, 6512 W. Cermak Road.
Both stores were issued citations.
Black ice is reason
for truck crash
A Berwyn man was injured when he lost control of his truck as a result of black ice on the road and struck a tree at 2:19 p.m. Feb. 1.
Policed arrived in the 1800 block of South Ridgeland Avenue and found a crowd of people attempting to help Hector Conception, 38, of the 2200 block of South Gunderson Avenue, who was lying in the snow.
A witness said he was shoveling snow when he saw the truck veer off onto the grass parkway and strike the tree, causing heavy damage to the front end.
Conception was taken to MacNeal Hospital for evaluation.
He was cited for improper lane usage, driving too fast for conditions and damage to city property.
Gas smell evacuates
A medical building was evacuated as a result of gas fumes at 1 p.m. Feb. 3.
Employees at MacNeal Healthcare, 2550 S. Oak Park Ave., reported the smell of gas and complained of headaches, nausea and dizziness. Two women were transported to MacNeal Hospital for treatment.
Nicor Gas and fire officials attempted to find the source of the gas, but were unsuccessful. The building will remain closed until the problem can be corrected.
Burglary and theft reports
• A phone charger, radio adapter cord and perfume were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3100 block of South Wesley Avenue Feb. 6. No damage was reported to the vehicle.
• A snowblower, drill and assorted tools were reported stolen from a van in the 3500 block of South Scoville Avenue Feb. 5. Entry was gained by damaging the lock to a rear door.
• Eric E. Wellington, 37, of the 0-100 block of North Mayfield Ave., Chicago, was charged with two counts of aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol after he was stopped by police for speeding at the intersection of Gunderson Avenue and Cermak Road. Police detected a strong smell of alcohol on Wellington’s breath. He failed all field sobriety tests and refused to take a breathalyzer test. Wellington was also found to have three prior convictions for driving with a revoked license. He was also charged with speeding, operating an uninsured vehicle, having no proof of insurance and improper backing.
• Jose E. Guzman, 59, of the 2600 block of South Lombard Avenue, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol after he was found asleep behind the wheel of his truck, which was stopped in the middle of the 6300 block of 26th Street at 2:44 a.m. Feb. 2. Police attempted raise Guzman by knocking loudly on his window. He finally opened his eyes and opened the door. Police took the keys out of the ignition and Guzman attempted several times to put the truck in gear. Guzman’s breathalyzer test registered 0.236.
• Vincent Omar Paz, 28, of the 3000 block of South Trumbull, Chicago, was charged with aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol after he was reported to be sleeping behind the wheel of his vehicle in the McDonald’s drive-thru lane in the 6900 block of Cermak Road at 3:40 a.m. Feb. 2. The vehicle was running and in gear at the time. Paz was also charged with felony driving while license suspended.
• Paul A. Batchelor, 33, of the 400 block of Marquette, Calumet City, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol after he was found unconscious in his vehicle while it was parked in a driveway in the 7100 block of West 26th Street at 5:29 a.m. Feb. 2. A neighbor called police on a report of a suspicious vehicle parked in the driveway. Batchelor had a strong smell of alcohol on his breath and failed both field and breathalyzer tests, registering 0.124 on the scale.
• Guillermo Ledsema, Jr., 21, of the 1200 block of South 50th Court, Cicero, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol after his Jeep lost a front passenger side wheel and crashed into a light pole at Roosevelt Road and Maple Avenue at 11 p.m. Feb. 2. Police found another vehicle parked a short distance away that appeared to have been struck by the Jeep, as indicated by a paint transfer from the damaged parked car. Ledsema failed both field and breathalyzer tests, registering 0.262 on the scale. He was also charged with failure to report an accident, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and illegal transportation of alcohol.
Burglary and theft reports
• An undetermined amount of cell phones and three iPhones were reported stolen from counter displays at 2353 S. Laramie Avenue Feb. 4. Entry was gained by breaking the glass out of a door.
• A lap top, wrist watch, two Columbia jackets and a wallet containing miscellaneous identification and debit cards was reported stolen from a residence in the 1500 block of South 51st Court Feb. 3.
• An IPad mini and a Northface jacket were reported stolen from a the rear seat of a vehicle in the 3100 block of South 48th Court Feb. 2.
• 1991 Mercedes Benz 300E was reported stolen from the Karavan Motel, 1620 S. Cicero Ave., Feb. 2. The car owner said two female friends took her car keys from her purse then fled in the car.
• A gold, 2007 Freightliner tractor was reported stolen from the 5800 block of West 31st Street Feb. 2.
• A blue, 2014 Jeep Patriot was reported stolen from the 5100 block of West 18th Street Feb. 1. The vehicle was left running with keys in the ignition at the time of the theft.
• Two furnaces, two hot water heaters and copper tubing were reported stolen from a basement to a vacant residence in the 1300 block of South 49th Court Jan. 31. Entry was gained by cutting off a padlock from a rear door.
• A 1995 Ford Explorer, book shelves, a wood cutter and two cook stoves were reported stolen from a garage in the 1800 block of South 55th Court Jan. 29. Entry was gained by forcing a service door.
• A white, 2009 Dodge Caliber was reported stolen from the 3200 block of South 60th Court Jan. 31. The vehicle was then crashed and abandoned at 2200 Cicero Ave. Three men fled from the scene on foot.
• A green,1997 Nissan van was reported stolen from the 1400 block of South 50th Avenue Jan. 31. The vehicle was locked but had a spare key inside.