GLEN ELLYN – This past year was a promising one for downtown Glen Ellyn, officials say, as 2013 saw many new businesses move to town.
“I think it was a great year for new businesses opening, and I am optimistic about next year as well,” said Carol White, executive director of the Alliance of Downtown Glen Ellyn.
According to local business organizations, 10 small businesses opened in downtown Glen Ellyn during 2013. Many have brought a greater variety to the village shopping scene, allowing residents to buy in Glen Ellyn for more of their needs, White said.
“As the variety continues to strengthen, the message to shop local gets larger,” she said, adding that more shoppers seem to be making the effort to support small businesses.
While an up-to-date report on downtown vacancies was not immediately available from the village, there were about 35 vacancies reported across town in September. Of these, about nine were located downtown.
Overall, vacancies are down, White said.
Notable vacancies that have been filled include the former antique mall on Pennsylvania Avenue that is now owner-occupied after sitting vacant for eight years, said Meredith Hannah, the village’s economic development coordinator.
Work is being done on the building to allow additional retail businesses to open there.
Pet store The Urban Mutt opened in December at 462 N. Park Blvd., Unit 100 – a space that had been vacant for two years, Hannah said.
“Downtown Glen Ellyn is a great place to be, and we are going to continue to see growth opportunities there,” she said.
• A Bella Bead Boutique Business type: Women's boutique Location: 485 N. Main St., Unit D More online: www.abellabeadstudio.blogspot.com
• Fabulous Me Accessories Business type: Women's boutique Location: 548 Crescent Blvd. More online: www.downtownglenellyn.com/bestshops/fabulous-me-boutique
• Geri G. Business type: Skin care and nutrition Location: 516 N. Main St., Suite B More online: www.gerigla.com
• Luis Arturo Dance Academy Business type: Dance Location: 462 N. Park Blvd., Unit 122 More online: www.luisarturoacademy.com
• Made in Italy Trattoria Business type: Restaurant Location: 476 Forest Ave. More online: www.madeinitalytrattoria.com
• Punch Barber Shop Business type: Hair cuttery Location: 491 Pennsylvania Ave. More online: www.punchbarbershop.com
• Rise Business type: Fitness Location: 460 N. Main St. (inside Sunshine Dance Project) More online: www.riseglenellyn.com
• Therapeutic Connections Massage and Wellness Business type: Massage therapy Location: 516 N. Main St., Suite A More online: www.therapeuticconnections.com
• The Stand Business type: Restaurant Location: 542 Crescent Blvd. More online: www.thestandglenellyn.com
• The Urban Mutt Business type: Pet store Location: 462 N. Park Blvd., Unit 100 More online: www.facebook.com/theurbanmuttglenellyn
2014 scheduled openings
• Peanut Butter Planet, 546 Crescent Blvd., expected to open early 2014
• The Beer Cellar, 534 Crescent Blvd, expected to open early 2014
• Reopening of The Bike Shop as an Element bike store, 495 N. Main St., early 2014
• Honey Cafe, 499 Main St., closed Jan. 1
• Bundles of Books and Gifts, 560 Crescent Blvd., expected to close end of March