in rusty water scam
About $4,100 was stolen from a residence Dec. 6 while the owner accompanied a man who claimed he needed to check the homeowner’s water for rust in the 3000 block of Harlem Avenue.
The 83-year-old victim went into his bedroom after the man left and discovered cash had been stolen from a cabinet.
The man was last seen driving away in a small black SUV waiting on 31st Street.
in rollover crash
A rollover collision at 1 a.m. Dec. 6 resulted in three people being hospitalized.
A parked pickup truck was struck by a car in the 2300 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, causing the car to roll over and come to a stop in the middle of the street.
Jhoselin Espinoza, 24, of the 1600 block of South 50th Court, Cicero, was charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, improper lane use, not having a driver’s license on her person, operating an uninsured vehicle and other vehicle citations.
Espinoza and two passengers were transported to MacNeal Hospital for treatment and observation.
No headlights leads
to drug arrests
A traffic stop for driving without headlights ended in charges of possession of marijuana Dec. 6.
The driver, Scott A. Taylor, was stopped in the 2200 block of Gunderson Avenue for driving without headlights. Police noticed a strong odor of marijuana in the vehicle.
Taylor admitted to police he had a small bag of marijuana on his person. He was issued a marijuana citation and paid a $100 fine.
Also on Dec. 6, Melvin I. Howery, 27, of the 500 block of 71st Street, Chicago, was stopped in the area of Ridgeland Avenue and Roosevelt Road for the same offense. Police also found an open 24-ounce can of Four Locos alcoholic beverage in the car. Howery admitted to having marijuana in his pocket.
He was charged with illegally transporting alcohol, a traffic citation and possession of marijuana.
Burglary and theft
• Two cellphones were reported stolen Dec. 4 from a vehicle parked in the 7100 block of West Cermak Road. There were no signs of forced entry to the vehicle.
• Several tools were reported stolen Dec. 7 from a garage in the 2700 block of South Cuyler Avenue. Entry was gained through a forced-open service door. The driver’s side window of a car parked in the garage was broken.
• A bucket containing masonry tools and a Bosch drill were reported stolen Dec. 6 from a vehicle parked in the 2400 block of South Lombard Avenue. There were no signs of forced entry.
• A propane heater and fuel tank were reported stolen Dec. 9 from a building under repair in the 1600 block of south Harvey Avenue. Entry was gained through a basement window.
• Two TVs, a Dell laptop and an iPad Mini were reported stolen from a residence Dec. 9 in the 2600 block of South Ridgeland Avenue. Entry was gained through a broken back door window.
• Six planters valued at $85 each and a fire pit valued at $200 were reported stolen from the yard of a home in the 2400 block of South Gunderson on Dec. 5.
• A commercial air conditioning unit valued at $6,000 was reported stolen Dec. 5 from a business in the 6500 block of Cermak Road. The unit was located on the roof of the building.
Burglary and theft
• A black, 1999 Chevrolet van was reported stolen Dec. 10 from the 1200 block of South 49th Avenue. The keys were in the ignition at the time of the theft.
• A white 2014 Ford Escape was reported stolen Dec. 10 from the 1900 block of South Cicero Avenue. The keys were in the ignition at the time of the theft.
• A red 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix was reported stolen Dec. 11 from the 1400 block of South Cicero Avenue.
• Jewelry was reported stolen 1 p.m. Dec. 10 from a residence in the 1300 block of South 57th Avenue. Numerous tools also were reported stolen from the garage. Both the residential and garage doors showed signs of being forced open.
• A stove and refrigerator were reported stolen Dec. 10 from a vacant residence in the 1900 block of South 58th Court. Entry was gained through a side window.
• Six 48-foot rolls of copper tubing, four 500-foot rolls of copper wire, four 15-inch Goodyear tires and a gravel leveling machine were reported stolen Dec. 5 from a garage in the 1800 block of South 59th Court.
• A Craftsman air compressor, Snap-on Impact wrench, power saw and several miscellaneous electrical tools were reported stolen Dec. 10 from a garage in the 5100 block of West 30th Street. Entry was gained through a forced-open service door.