Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Man charged for cruelty to pitbulls, puppies
A Berwyn man faces numerous charges after he abandoned two adult pit bulls and two puppies in the basement of a residence he recently moved out of.
A contractor working in the house reported the four dog in the basement to police. Officers found the dogs living in a basement where the floor was covered in feces and the dogs had no food or water.
All four dogs were taken to the Cicero Animal Shelter, Waggin' Tails, where the puppies were properly vaccinated.
Benito Mena was charged with cruelty, offensive keeping of animals and abandonment and cruelty for each of the four dogs. He was also charged with having no tags for each of the adult dogs. Mena will be issued the citations through certified mail once he is located, police said.
Purse snatcher on bicycle strikes at bus stop
A man on a bicycle snatched a purse from a woman as he rode by the Cermak Road and Oak Park Avenue bus stop at 11 a.m. Nov. 22.
The woman said she had just stepped off the bus when the man rode by and snatched the purse from her hands and fled east on Cermak Road.
• Dennis. V. Krywanio, 35, of the 1900 block of South Grove Avenue was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol after he was reported fleeing a hit and run accident where he rear ended a vehicle at Harlem Avenue and 31st Street. The victim reported Krywanio's license plate number to police, who found him at home. Krywanio was also charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, failure to exchange information and operating an uninsured vehicle.
• Cassandra M. Garcia, 28, of the 4500 block of Park Avenue, Brookfield, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop for driving without headlights at the Ridgeland Avenue and Pershing Road intersection at 3:42 a.m. Nov. 24. She was also charged with improper lane usage, disobeying a traffic control device and driving without lights when required.
Burglary and theft reports
• An XBox 360, a television, assorted jewelry and $2,500 in cash were reported stolen from a residence in the 1300 block of South Home Avenue at 6:39 p.m. Nov. 29. Entry was gained through a broken window of the rear door.
• An electronic garage door opener and $40 in cash was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3500 block of South Harvey Avenue at 10 a.m on Nov. 28. The vehicle was unlocked at the time of the theft.
• A Bosch drill and rotor and Milwaukee saw valued at $,1200 was reported stolen from a vehicle parked behind a business in the 6200 block of West Cermak Road. Entry was gained by picking the lock of the passenger side door.
• A silver, 2008 Chevrolet Malibu was reported stolen from the 2300 block of South Ridgeland Avenue at 10 p.m. Nov. 28. The vehicle owner said he was inside a relative's house at the time while the car was running to warm up.
• An Auvio sound bar, iPod Touch, lap top computer, X-Box 360, Sprint Sierra Overdrive Mobile Hot Spot, and two gold rings were reported stolen from a residence in the 1900 block of South Harlem Avenue at 6:49 p.m. Nov. 27. Entry was gained through a living room window.
• Two leaf blowers were reported stolen from a garage in the 2500 block of South Harvey Avenue at 9:25 p.m. on Nov. 27. Entry was gained through an open service door.
• An in-dash stereo system was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 2600 block of South Grove Avenue at 10 a.m on Nov. 26.
• Four saws, four hand drills, two drywall drills, an air compressor and a framing gun were reported stolen from a residence in the 2600 block of South Highland Avenue at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 22. Entry was gained by forcing a side door.
• An air compressor, a kicker box with two speakers and two camp bags with miscellaneous items were reported stolen from a garage in the 2600 block of South Harvey Avenue on Nov. 25. A door is believed to have been left unlocked.
• A set of silverware, a television, two military jumpsuits and a coat were reported stolen from a residence in the 2300 block of South Highland Avenue on Nov. 22. Entry was gained through a kitchen window.
• Nearly $9,000 worth of jewelry was reported stolen from a residence on the 1900 block of South Clinton Avenue on Nov. 24. A back door to the residence was forced open.
Church burglars get $50
A church was burglarized in the 2500 block of South Laramie Avenue and the offender/s go away with about $50 in cash Nov. 28.
The alarm system was circumvented by pulling out wires from the alarm. The keyholder had been called by the alarm company, but he advised them not to send the police since they had just left.
The money was taken from a register in a concession stand.
Police investigate attempted arson
Police are investigating video evidence of a man who attempted to burn a vehicle parked in the 3200 block of South 54th Avenue at 10:30 p.m. Nov. 25.
The victim said his neighbor taped someone approaching the front of his vehicle and starting a fire near the front windshield.
Juvenile's phone taken hostage to arrange fight
A juvenile male was confronted by a known gang member and robbed of his cell phone in the 5300 block of West 25th Street at 3:25 p.m. Nov. 22.
The victim said the suspect came up to him and started questioning him about gangs. He then searched the victim and took a Samsung cell phone from him telling him that if he wanted it back he should, "Tell your boy to come and fight me one-on-one."
Burglary and theft reports
• A white Nissan Maxima was reported stolen from the 5700 block of West 34th Street at 6:30 a.m. Nov. 25.
• Two band saws, a commercial floor buffer, table router, white metal shelving unit, Crown kitchen stove, a commercial clothes dryer, Lawn Boy lawn mower and security system with monitor was reported stolen from a basement to a residence in the 2100 block of South 51st Avenue Nov. 23. A rear basement door was found forced open.
• Power tools were reported taken for the second time from a residence in the 1600 block of South 58th Court at 7 p.m. Nov. 16. both There were no signs of forced entry. The victim believes it is someone with a key.
• Jack hammers, compactors, concrete saws and power hand tools were reported stolen from a business in the 5700 block of West Ogden Avenue at 6:15 a.m. Nov. 21. An unknown black SUV was observed entering the enclosed lot of the business and leaving about 30 minutes later. An overhead door was forced open.
• A Kenwood stereo with television, $225 in cash and miscellaneous CDs and DVDs
were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1800 block of South 59th Court Nov. 23. Entry was gained through a broken rear passenger window.
• A Duel car stereo and speaker box with 12-inch Kicker speakers were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3800 block of South 61st Court Nov. 21.
• A gold Nissan Maxima was reported stolen from the 3600 block South 54th Avenue at 9:36 a.m. Nov. 23.
• A blue 1999 Nissan Altima was reported stolen from the 4900 block of West 30th Street at 5:30 a.m. Nov. 23.
• A green 1998 Honda Civic was reported stolen from the 2100 block of South Cicero Avenue at 1 a.m. Nov. 24.
• The catalytic converter was reported stolen from a Chevrolet Venture van in the 5300 block of West 22nd Street Nov. 22.
• The catalytic converter was reported stolen from a Chevrolet Cavalier in the 2400 block of South 61st Street Nov. 21.
• A tan 2003 Ford Windstar was reported stolen from the 1200 block of South 61st Avenue at 7 p.m. Nov. 21.
• A white 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe was reported stolen from the 5000 block of West 24th Street at 9:15 p.m. Nov. 21.
• A green 1999 Chevrolet Astrovan was reported stolen in the 4800 block of West 13th Street at 7 a.m. Nov. 21. The vehicle was running with the keys in the ignition.
• Several hand and power tools, two lawnmowers, two bicycles, yard tools, golf clubs, an air compressor, step ladder and a gas weed whacker were reported stolen from a garage in the 3700 block of South 61st Street Nov. 21. A service door was pried open.