Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
‘Bear Hug’ bandits
steal man’s iPhone
Two men grabbed a Berwyn man walking from a bus stop at Oak Park Avenue and 21st Street and stole his iPhone at 6:35 p.m. Nov. 18.
The victim said the two men began following him after he left the bus and one of the men grabbed him in a “bear hug” fashion while the other man searched him and took the phone. Both men then fled.
Man beaten, robbed
A Berwyn man was beaten and robbed of about $200 in cash by two men in the 6700 block of Vacin Fairway at 3:19 a.m. Nov. 16.
The victim said he had left a bar and was standing next to his van talking on his cell phone when two men came up from behind and started beating him. He was knocked to the ground and the two men started kicking him in the head. He then got to his feet and grabbed a handful of cash from his coat pocket and threw it at the men. He escaped as the men were picking up the cash from the ground.
Burglary, theft reports
• Two televisions, jewelry, a Playstation 4, an Asus pad, laptop, Makita tool set and a Sony Vaio Tap 20 were reported stolen from a residence in the 1200 block of South Ridgeland Avenue at noon Nov. 18.
Entry was gained through a side living room window.
• A stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1200 block of South Clinton Avenue at noon Nov. 18. Entry was gained through a broken rear passenger’s window.
• Jewelry was reported stolen from a residence in the 3600 block of South East Avenue at 7 p.m. Nov. 17.
• A laptop valued at $700 was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1200 block of South Clarence Avenue Nov. 16. The vehicle was unlocked at the time of the theft.
• Jewelry valued at $2,500 was reported stolen from a residence in the 7100 block of West 26th Street Nov. 15. The victim told police she believed she knew who may have taken the jewelry.
• A white, 1998 Jeep Wrangler was reported stolen from the 6400 block of Harlem Avenue Nov. 15.
Javier Arellano, 28, of the 5700 block of South Homan Avenue, Chicago, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after he was stopped in the 2300 block of Harlem Avenue for driving 63 mph in a 25-mph zone and making several lane changes without a signal at 4:17 a.m. Nov. 15. Arellano refused a Breathalyzer test but failed field sobriety tests. He also was charged with failure to signal, illegal transportation of alcohol and speeding.
Woman robbed of wallet
A woman was robbed of her wallet in the 5500 block of West 25th Street at 5:10 p.m. Nov. 18.
The woman was approached as she was exiting her backyard by a man who told her to give up her wallet or he would shoot her. A gun was never displayed. The woman handed over her wallet, which contained $600 in cash and identification cards.
The man was described as white, 5-feet-8-inches tall, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and a black mask over his nose and mouth.
Robber beats woman for cellphone
A woman was beaten for her cellphone while walking home from the Pink Line CTA station at 16th Street and 50th Court just before midnight Nov. 16.
The woman was approached by a man who attempted to engage her in conversation and then began striking her with his fist while attempting to take her cellphone. The woman threw her phone to the ground and the man picked it up and fled southbound.
He was described as black, about 5-feet-3-inches tall and wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and brown vest.
Man beaten for wallet and gold chain
A man was thrown to the ground and beaten by four men who stole his wallet and a gold chain in the 4700 block of West Roosevelt Road at noon Nov. 14.
The victim said he was unable to identify his attackers.
Burglary, theft reports
• A TV, Toshiba laptop and HP desktop computer were reported stolen Nov. 17 from a residence in the 1800 block of South 47th Court. Entry was gained through an unlocked window.
• A red Craftsman toolbox and tools, a black Craftsman toolbox with tools, a black speaker box and two bicycles were reported stolen Nov. 15 from a garage in the 1600 block of South 55th Court. A service door was forced open.
• An Xbox system was stolen Nov. 20 from a residence in the 3700 block of South 57th Court. Entry was gained through an unlocked window.
• A blue-green 1993 Nissan Altima was reported stolen Nov. 20 from the 3000 block of South 54th Avenue.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Nov. 20 from a vehicle parked in the 4800 block of West 28th Street.
• A Tom Tom GPS and a Kenwood stereo were reported stolen Nov. 16 from a vehicle in the 1600 block of South Cicero Avenue. The door to the vehicle was unlocked at the time.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen Nov. 16 from a GMC minivan in the 5000 block of West 31st Place.
• A white 1997 Chevy Malibu was reported stolen Nov. 16 from the 3000 block of South 49th Avenue.