Woman walks in
A woman walked in on the burglary of her son’s bedroom and confronted the burglar before he fled through a broken window at 2 a.m. Nov. 6.
The woman said she was watching TV in her living room when she heard a noise coming from her son’s apartment. She walked into the bedroom and found a male subject wearing a black hooded sweatshirt attempting to leave through a broken window with an Xbox game and controller. The woman struggled with him and managed to grab both items before he fled.
The woman told police she recognized the burglar as an acquaintance of her son who had been to their residence at another time.
An Xbox 360 gaming system and cord were found missing from the bedroom.
may have been foiled
A resident believed he walked in on an attempted burglary of his garage at 8 p.m. Nov. 6. The resident said he walked into his garage in the 1800 block of South Grove Avenue when he encountered a man who appeared to be intoxicated.
The man told the resident he found the door ajar and wanted to check that everything was alright. He then left the garage. The resident said he later found many of his possessions placed in a bag inside the garage that he believed were intended to be stolen.
Graffiti was reported in the viaduct tunnel at 31st Street and Ridgeland Avenue and on the top of a building in the 6300 block of 26th Street on Nov. 7. Graffiti also was reported in the 2800 block of South Ridgeland Avenue on Nov. 6, the 3100 block of South Ridgeland Avenue on Nov. 5 and the 2600 block of South Ridgeland Avenue on Nov. 4.
• Roman A. Anaya, 20, of the 1300 block of South Elmwood Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with driving under the influence of drugs following a traffic stop at Ridgeland and Fairfield avenues for driving with only one headlight. The officer who stopped Anaya could smell burnt marijuana as he approached the vehicle. Anaya also surrendered a small bag of marijuana to the officer. He was also charged with improper lighting and no proof of insurance.
• Beneranda Gonzalez, 29, of the 400 block of Meeker Avenue, Joliet, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop at 18th Street and East Avenue at 5 a.m. Nov. 3. Gonzalez was also charged with felony DUI, driving with a revoked license, improper lane usage and no proof of insurance.
• Juan A. Vergara, 21, of the 5600 block of North Christiana Avenue, Chicago, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after the car he was driving collided with several parked vehicles near Oak Park Avenue and 16th Street at 12:30 a.m. Nov. 1. He was also charged with having no driver’s license, no insurance, improper lane usage and failure to reduce speed.
• A CD player/radio and tool box containing vending machine keys were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1400 block of South Cuyler Avenue at 7 a.m. Nov. 7. The vehicle was unlocked at the time.
• An attempted burglary to a garage was reported in the 2600 block of South Harvey Avenue Nov. 7. Several pry marks were found along a door and door panel. Entry was not made and nothing was reported missing.
• A Viper auto start alarm system valued at $500 was reported stolen from a garage in the 1400 block South Home Avenue at 7:41 p.m. Nov. 4. Entry was gained through a forced open service door.
• Jewelry valued at more than $1,500 and $900 in cash and coins was reported stolen from a residence in the 2700 block South East Avenue at 5 p.m. Nov. 6. Entry was gained through a kitchen window.
• A key ring with keys was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 7100 block of West Cermak Road at 1 p.m. Nov. 5. The vehicle was unlocked at the time of the theft.
• Two saws and a new ceiling fan valued at $1,080 were reported stolen from a residence in the 3700 block of East Avenue at 5 p.m. Nov. 5. Entry was gained through a basement widow well.
• A television, two laptop computers and a checkbook were reported stolen from a residence in the 2100 block of South Wenonah Avenue at midnight Nov. 5. Entry was gained through a back window.
• An in-dash CD/MP3 player was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1600 block of South Gunderson Avenue at 8:46 a.m. Nov. 4. Entry was gained by using an unknown object to unlock the door.
• A red, 1999 Mitsubishi Diamante was reported stolen from the 6900 block of West Ogden Avenue at 4:39 p.m. Nov. 4.
• A television, clothing and personal papers were reported stolen from a residence in the 3700 block of South Highland Avenue at 1 p.m. Nov. 2. Entry appeared to have been gained through a sliding glass door in a family room.
• A maroon, older model Toyota Camry was reported stolen from 13th Street near Scoville Avenue at 11:30 p.m. Oct. 31.
• A powerwasher and air hose was reported stolen from a garage in the 3700 block of South Kenilworth Avenue at 11 a.m. Oct. 31. Entry was gained through an unlocked service door.