Ten Antioch Upper Grade School students were taken to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Liberytville late this morning after one of their classmates reportedly gave them prescription pain killers.
They were taken there as a precaution, said Antioch Fire Department Chief John Nixon, adding he believed they were later released to their parents in good condition.
Nixon said the department received a 911 call at about 11:30 a.m. from the school.
"They reported they needed an ambulance because children had ingested prescription medication. We evaluted the students and took their vitals," he said. "All of the students appeared to be in good conditon. They weren't sick or nauseous."
District 34 officials sent emails to parents and posted this announcement on the school's web site.
"Today (Tuesday) we had a student report that they distributed a prescription medication to some friends. Therefore, we contacted the parents of those individual students. In addition, the paramedics and the police were also contacted to investigate and assess the situation."
Antioch Upper Grade School, 800 Highview Drive, serves children in sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grades.
Nixon labeled the incident as "severe," saying "parents should keep prescription medication in a safe place away from their children." Not doing so can bring "harm" to children, he said.