Mostly Cloudy
80°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Accidental fire reported in basement apartment

Published: Monday, Oct. 28, 2013 4:33 p.m. CDT

BERWYN – Berwyn fire officials believe a small heating appliance caused thick smoke that filled the basement apartment of a three-story residence in the 1900 block of South Grove Avenue at 4:45 p.m. Oct. 20.

A tenant on the third floor noticed thick smoke billowing out of the apartment and called fire and police officials. The second-floor apartment was vacant at the time.

No one was home in the basement apartment at the time of the accident. Officials said the smoke damage was minimal, but a window was broken to let smoke escape.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Sandburg calls out 3 schools for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

Do you make donations to charity?
Yes, every year to the same one
Yes, to different charities at different times
On a case by case basis
Not currently