Accidental fire reported in basement apartment

BERWYN – Berwyn fire officials believe a small heating appliance caused thick smoke that filled the basement apartment of a three-story residence in the 1900 block of South Grove Avenue at 4:45 p.m. Oct. 20.

A tenant on the third floor noticed thick smoke billowing out of the apartment and called fire and police officials. The second-floor apartment was vacant at the time.

No one was home in the basement apartment at the time of the accident. Officials said the smoke damage was minimal, but a window was broken to let smoke escape.