Letter: Reader thanks Westmont community
To the Editor:
On Sunday, Sept. 15, our house at 1452 S. Williams St. caught fire and burned to the ground.
It was a careless accident involving a faulty firepit and a fire that we thought was out but was not. It was a horrifying morning as we watched the brave firefighters trying to save our home.
By 5 a.m., what was our home full of our memories was totally destroyed. While this has been a great tragedy in our lives, something wonderful has come from all of this.
We have learned what a wonderful community we have in Westmont and in our specific neighborhood in Farmingdale Cove. We wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of our neighbors and family who daily have shown us compassion and support.
We have all been brought to tears by the generosity of our community. They have offered us financial gifts, home goods, flowers and kind words. People we hardly knew or seldom see have collected money and housing needs as we strive to build a new home.
We cannot even step into our neighborhood without a neighbor coming out and checking on our well-being. We wanted to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for all the kindnesses you have shown us. We are truly humbled and grateful.
Thank you so much. You have all made our lives richer.
Michael, Susan and Shannon Finegan, Westmont