Print Edition

Print Edition
Subscribe now to the print edition of Suburban Life.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile phone or PDA with news, weather and more from

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Our My Suburban Life Daily Update will send you all of the news you need to keep up with the pace of news in DuPage and Cook County.

Bolingbrook tops H-F in OT, remains unbeaten

FLOSSMOOR – Talk about going down to the wire.

A goal-line stand in overtime helped Bolingbrook’s football team win the first-ever Alec Anderson Memorial Trophy game Friday, 31-24, over Homewood-Flossmoor.

The Raiders and Homewood-Flossmoor entered Friday’s game as two undefeated programs that were tied atop the SouthWest Suburban Blue conference and ranked No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, in Class 8A by the Associated Press.

But the two teams also shared a bond beyond the football field. Alec Anderson, a former athletic director at both Bolingbrook and H-F, died suddenly while running on a treadmill in August at Homewood-Flossmoor.

To honor Anderson’s legacy – which includes five state championship teams during his tenure at Bolingbrook – the Raiders and the Vikings created the trophy inscribed, “Inspired by a Man Who Demonstrated Friendship, Leadership and Sportsmanship to All.”

After the overtime victory, the Raiders will possess the trophy for the next year. Additionally, Bolingbrook (7-0, 5-0 SWSB) now owns sole possession of first place in the
conference with only two weeks left in the regular

Trailing 21-10 at halftime, the Raiders rebounded, knotting the game at 24-24 after a 10-yard fumble recovery and touchdown return by C.J. Clark and a 2-yard run by Quincy Woods. Bolingbrook then had a chance to seal the game in regulation, but coughed up the ball at the Vikings’ goal line.

For much of the game, the Vikings were without star tail back Deante Harley-Hampton, who suffered a bone bruise and left the game in the second quarter. Without his services, the H-F rushing attack that totaled 106 yards in the first half managed just 20 yards the rest of the game.

In overtime, the Raiders possessed the ball first and scored on Jaden Huff’s 2-yard touchdown run for a 31-24 lead.

On the ensuing possession, the Vikings moved the ball to the Bolingbrook 1-yard line but were stuffed on four consecutive plays as the Raiders preserved the win.

With two games remaining, the Raiders will face another tough test this week when they play one-loss Lincoln-Way East. Bolingbrook will then finish the season on the road against Sandburg.

Loading more