LA GRANGE – Ogden Avenue School sent an email alert to parents last Friday after learning a student was involved in a game where a person is choked until he or she experiences a brief euphoric state close to passing out.
A parent contacted the school after seeing a video of a child playing the game at an area park, Ogden Principal Pattii Waldo said.
The act of self-strangulation, or strangulation by another person, commonly called the choking game, resulted in 82 deaths of kids ages 6 to 19 from 1995 to 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control. A high is achieved when the brain is deprived of oxygen.
"It seems to be just the tweens and early teens that get involved in this, and it's just a euphoric thrill-seeking event that doesn't involve drugs," Waldo said. " … They just don't realize how dangerous it is."
The email was sent to all sixth-grade parents because the reported incident involved a student in that grade, Waldo said.