A Few Clouds
45°FA Few CloudsFull Forecast

Ogden Avenue School warns parents of "choking game"

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013 3:40 p.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, July 25, 2014 4:51 a.m. CDT

LA GRANGE – Ogden Avenue School sent an email alert to parents last Friday after learning a student was involved in a game where a person is choked until he or she experiences a brief euphoric state close to passing out.

A parent contacted the school after seeing a video of a child playing the game at an area park, Ogden Principal Pattii Waldo said.

The act of self-strangulation, or strangulation by another person, commonly called the choking game, resulted in 82 deaths of kids ages 6 to 19 from 1995 to 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control. A high is achieved when the brain is deprived of oxygen.

"It seems to be just the tweens and early teens that get involved in this, and it's just a euphoric thrill-seeking event that doesn't involve drugs," Waldo said. " … They just don't realize how dangerous it is."

The email was sent to all sixth-grade parents because the reported incident involved a student in that grade, Waldo said. 

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Sandburg calls out 3 schools for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

What are you most looking forward to this fall?
The food
The leaves changing colors
Cooler weather
Holidays