Overcast
21°FOvercastFull Forecast

Ogden Avenue School warns parents of "choking game"

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013 3:40 p.m. CST • Updated: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:58 p.m. CST

LA GRANGE – Ogden Avenue School sent an email alert to parents last Friday after learning a student was involved in a game where a person is choked until he or she experiences a brief euphoric state close to passing out.

A parent contacted the school after seeing a video of a child playing the game at an area park, Ogden Principal Pattii Waldo said.

The act of self-strangulation, or strangulation by another person, commonly called the choking game, resulted in 82 deaths of kids ages 6 to 19 from 1995 to 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control. A high is achieved when the brain is deprived of oxygen.

"It seems to be just the tweens and early teens that get involved in this, and it's just a euphoric thrill-seeking event that doesn't involve drugs," Waldo said. " … They just don't realize how dangerous it is."

The email was sent to all sixth-grade parents because the reported incident involved a student in that grade, Waldo said. 

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Snow blows into La Grange

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

When do you put up your holiday decorations?
Right after Thanksgiving
Early December
Close to the holiday
I don't decorate