HINSDALE – The Hinsdale Police Department is recommending the following guidelines when it comes to having a safe and happy Halloween.
• Never go trick-or-treating alone.
• Always walk on the sidewalks, not in the street. Cross the street only at corners.
• If possible, use face paint instead of a mask that may cover your eyes.
• For safety, it is recommended that children should go out during daylight hours only.
• Children should only stop at familiar houses in their own neighborhood unless they are accompanied by an adult.
• Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
• Do not allow children to eat any treats until they bring them home to be examined by an adult.
• Wash all fruits and cut them into small pieces before eating.
• Examine candy closely and discard unpackaged and opened candies. When in doubt, throw it out.
The village of Hinsdale does not set trick-or-treat hours, but is recommending that children complete their trick-or-treating before dusk.