Information in Police Reports is obtained from the Berwyn Police Department. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Berwyn man charged
for obstructing traffic
A Berwyn man who was standing in the street obstructing traffic was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct at 2 a.m. Sept. 28.
Alfonso V. Rodriguez, 24, of the 3800 block of Kenilworth Avenue, was standing in the street with his door open as traffic, including a squad car, waited for him to enter the car and close the door.
Police got out and questioned Rodriguez after several minutes passed. Police noticed the smell of alcohol on Rodriguez’s breath and said he became obstinate and uncooperative during questioning.
Loud mouths charged
after warning from police
Two Berwyn men, both yelling for no apparent reason as they walked down the street, were cited for disturbing the peace after a police officer warned them several times to keep the noise down in the 3800 block of Kenilworth Avenue at 2 a.m. Sept. 28.
Andrew Saucedo, 24, and Jason Saucedo, 22, both of the 3600 block of South Cuyler Avenue, were charged.
Burglary and theftreports
• A purse containing a checkbook, cards and $100 cash was reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the 2700 block of East Avenue on Sept. 29. The purse and a debit card were recovered in the 2500 block of South Ridgeland Avenue.
• A purse containing a cellphone, various credit and identification cards and $200 cash was reported stolen from the Marshall’s store, 7163 Cermak Road, Sept. 29. The owner said she had put the purse down for a moment and when she went to retrieve it, it was gone.
• A garage door opener and other miscellaneous items were reported stolen from a garage in the 2700 block of South Cuyler Avenue Sept. 27. Entry was gained through a window.
• About $10,000 worth of jewelry and a laptop were reported stolen from a residence in the 3000 block of South Wisconsin Avenue on Sept. 27.
• An air compressor, a planer, a grinder and other items were reported stolen from a garage in the 2400 block of South East Avenue Sept. 25. Entry was gained through a service door.
• A table saw, box of tools, an electric hand saw and bicycle were reported stolen from a garage in the 2500 block of South Oak Park Avenue Sept. 26. Entry was gained through an unlocked service door.
• A gold chain and $60 in cash was reported stolen from a residence in the 2800 block of South Highland Avenue Sept. 26. Entry was gained by prying open a basement door.
• Miguel A. Guzman, 28, of the 3500 block of South Cuyler Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after the car he was driving collided with a parked vehicle in the area of Ridgeland Avenue and 24th Street at 2:22 a.m. Sept. 28. Guzman was also charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and operating an uninsured vehicle.
• David L. Myles, 34, of the 1800 block of South Euclid Avenue, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol after the Cadillac he was driving struck three parked vehicles in the 2500 block of South Ridgeland Avenue at 3:25 a.m. Sept. 27. Myles told police he swerved to avoid hitting an animal that was wearing a hat as it crossed the road in front of him. He was also charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and illegal transportation of open alcohol.
Phone thief on bicycle strikes again
A woman was robbed of a cell phone and earring by a man on a bicycle in the 2300 block of South Laramie Avenue Sept. 24.
The victim was approached by a man wearing a black baseball cap, white t-shirt and black jeans riding a white bike who then grabbed the Galaxy cell phone from victim and pulled a gold earring from her ear before fleeing northbound on Laramie Avenue.
The victim believed there may have been a second person who met up with the offender while he was fleeing. The offenders had been riding eastbound on the north side of 23rd Street prior to the theft.
Juveniles caught stealing Gatorade at Morton East
Security guards at Morton East High School turned over two juveniles to police custody after they were caught trying to steal $300 worth of soda and Gatorade from the school on Sept. 21.
The juveniles were held by police pending charges. Damage to a door that was forced open was estimated at $200.
Resident stopped after confronting burglar
A resident went to check on a suspicious noise and was prevented from entering the room where the noise came from, apparently by the burglar, at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 25.
The resident found a window air conditioner had been forced through a bedroom window at his home in the 1800 block of South 55th Avenue. An unknown person pushed in on the door to the room, prohibiting the resident from getting in to investigate. The suspect then fled through the open window as the resident called police.
Burglary and theft reports
• A 32-inch LG television was reported stolen from a home in the 5100 block of West 21st Place Sept. 25. A neighbor told the victim he had previously found a window open and the door unlocked. He then secured both.
• A water meter and copper tubing was reported stolen from an occupied home in the 1300 block of South 58th Avenue Sept. 26 Entry was gained through a basement window.
• A radio was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 2300 block of South Cicero Avenue Sept. 26. Entry was gained through a broken window.
• A Sony Vaio laptop computer was reported stolen from the cab of a Volvo tractor in the 3400 block of South Cicero Avenue Sept. 27. Entry was gained through a broken passenger window.
• $304 in cash and two butcher knives were reported stolen from a residence in the 5400 block of West 25th Street Sept. 24. Entry was gained through an open rear window.