Lyons defense roars, leads win over Downers Grove North
|Downers Grove North junior quarterback David Edwards scrambles with the football during the school's homecoming football game against Lyons Township on Friday. (Photo by Matthew Piechalak – email@example.com)|
DOWNERS GROVE – For three quarters, the Lyons Township defense did not allow a score.
After surrendering a combined 179 points in their first four games, the Lyons defense rallied against Downers Grove North Friday, forcing two first half turnovers and coming up with multiple fourth down stops en route to a 17-10 victory.
On the other side of the ball, quarterback Tom Fiedler completed 19 of 26 passes for 221 yards and two touchdowns and wideout Marcell Kellum added 146 receiving yards and a score, as the visitors' quick strike offense kept the Trojans on their heels all evening.
An interception and fumble limited the Downers Grove North production in the first half, and the Trojans entered the locker room trailing 10-0. Quarterback David Edwards and the option offense gained some traction in third and fourth quarter, but could not complete the comeback.
Edwards finished with 172 passing yards, 91 rushing yards and a touchdown.
With the loss, the Trojans drop to 2-3 and 0-3 in the West Suburban Silver Conference. Lyons Township improves to 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
Next game, Lyons remains on the road and plays Hinsdale Central on Saturday while Downers Grove North plays a home bout against rival Downers Grove South on Friday.
More Downers Grove News
- DGS duo helps Butler football to benchmark season
- Anderson: Township gets ready for snow season
- Police reports: Downers Grove for Dec. 11
- Police chase, arrest suspects in alleged Downers Grove armed robbery
- Downers Grove to present traffic study of Fairview and Maple avenues intersection
- District 99 considers new courses for next year
- Carol Stream Park District executive director named head of DuPage Forest Preserve District
- Photo calendar raises money for Bridge Communities
- Hazardous weather expected to impact Wednesday morning rush hour
- DuPage Stormwater Management asks residents to reduce use of road salt this winter