Confusion about fire station conditions cause of contractor upcharge
RIVERSIDE – The Village Board of Trustees approved a $1,797 additional payment to CCI Flooring at its public meeting Thursday night to cover extra work the contractors were required to perform because of conditions at Riverside Fire Station One.
The village had agreed to pay the company $24,148 to refinish the station’s floors, but upon beginning the job, CCI Flooring representatives discovered there were three sections of concrete flooring that needed to be repaired before they could begin the refinishing and that the station’s electrical system was not powerful enough to accomodate the contractor’s equipment. As a result of the substandard electricity, CCI had to rent generators.
Village Trustee Joseph Ballerine said he understood why CCI needed extra money to repair the floor, but questioned how CCI didn’t know their equipment wouldn’t work in the fire station before signing the contract.
“I do have an objection with them coming and looking at the job and deciding when they are on the job that they don’t have the proper electrical,” Ballerine said. “It’s not like we hide our panels. I don’t know why we have to be responsible for that error.”
Riverside Fire Chief Spencer Kimura said that the reason the contractor initially believed its could operate its equipment in the station was because the Fire Dept mistakenly told them it was possible.
“Our interpretation was that we would be able to supply it,” Kimura said. “But upon further, looking at the panel, it was discovered that we did not have 480 volts to supply and in fact we only had 220.”
“I guess the assumption was partly our fault, assuming that we had the electrical supply available to us and not following up with the actual contract and the company.”
Following the Chief’s statement, the Board unanimously approved the additional payment.